Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

hudgoddess 04-19-2011 05:06 AM

I took a beginning piecing class almost 3 years ago and have probably finished a quilt a month with teenage sports and a fuultime job. I like Joann's, like my Walmart and LOVE my LQS! Sign up for Joann's mail flyer and use their coupons to build your thread stash. Go to quilt shows on the last afternoon if you have any nearby and see what kind of bargains you can get. Yard sales and Craigslist can be great finds if you have the time and inclination.

Jammin' Jane 04-19-2011 08:04 AM

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!
You can buy your material wherever you want. In fact, since it is your first quilt, you may want to buy some inexpensive fabric. Then you won't feel bad if you make any mistakes. Happy shopping! Happy quilting!

bearisgray 04-19-2011 10:58 AM

For a first quilt - buy fabric that is "decent" - so that it will be worth your time and effort.

"Decent" can be comparatively inexpensive.

KyKaren1949 04-19-2011 11:45 AM

I agree with those who posted you should buy the best you can afford. I do shop online primarily since the LQS around here are very expensive. I can usually find excellent quality quilting fabric for much less online. One of my favorite sites is www.quiltshops.com. On this site, you can find over 200 quilt shops listed. If you are searching for a particular fabric and can't find it, you can usually find it here.

My second favorite is www.stitch-n-frame.net. They have sales every Thursday which are posted on Wed. night through Friday morning.

My third favorite is Craft Town in Salem, IN. Craft Town's clearance prices are wonderful; especially around December. I bought 3 different sets of Moda Charm Packs for around $5 apiece in December.

The fourth would be www.whittles.com; located in Bowling Green, KY, about 55 miles from me. If you are close enough to go to the shop, the cost per yard is about $1 a yard less.

Number five: www.quiltsrjewels.com; located about 15 miles from me. Great prices.

Good Luck!!

KyKaren1949 04-19-2011 11:47 AM

I also watch for sales at Hancock's and JoAnn's for 50% off on thread, quilting tools and notions. If you're a cautious shopper, you can save money and still have the best.

patski 04-19-2011 04:17 PM

You can get good material at JoAnns, just watch for Moda or other good brands. I also love to order fabric on line and have not gotten any bad fabric. Stay with 100 % cotton

uponourhill 04-19-2011 05:12 PM

Welcome! You'll likely find quilting a wonderful fun hobby in retirement - I sure did! I frequently buy fabric online at www.thousandsofbolts.com, and have been pleased. I started out making purses, to get some practice. Most of my embroidery thread is Madeira 40 weight rayon, and they have a website that will sell you spools at much lower prices than in stores. Go to Madeiramart.com, and an 1100 yard thread spool is very affordable. Have fun!

Bobbie

Granny Coy 04-19-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

I like www.fabric.com. I have been very happy with the fabrics from them. They also have half-yard assortments which is nice if you want a small amount of a lot of different fabrics. The best thing is the shipping is free for orders of $35 or more. Others ask you to spend $50 before you get free shipping.

Granny Coy 04-19-2011 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

I like www.fabric.com. I have been very happy with the fabrics from them. They also have half-yard assortments which is nice if you want a small amount of a lot of different fabrics. The best thing is the shipping is free for orders of $35 or more. Others ask you to spend $50 before you get free shipping.

Judy C 04-22-2011 11:32 PM

The first thing I would suggest is to go to your LQS and feel the fabric they have & then Joann's and feel the $3.99/ 4.99 and compare them. You will understand then what the difference is. You can buy better quality fabric at Joann's but it is the same price as the quilt shops.
If you want to buy good quality fabric then shop at the quilt shop where you can go to classes and and get help picking fabrics etc. Where did you buy your machine ? If it was a LQS you can get classes for quilting and machine help as well. Everything you need in one place....