Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a guy on a date should never say to a quilter....LOL. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-guy-date-should-never-say-quilter-lol-t173162.html)

pippi65 12-25-2011 08:45 PM

My hubby has been very wonderful to me thru the years of my quilting obsession. He has fed my love of "old sewing machines" I have a wonderful collection of them because of him. My first present today was a very little SAD Iron. It's so cute. I would never have bought it for myself. So I'm a lucky girl!! He never complains when dinner isn't ready cause I'm working on a project!! So many blessings I have. I wish you each and everyone the same!!

Mamatron 12-25-2011 09:04 PM

I am not dating but I get that comment often from both men and women. I would not give up on him just yet...if you like him.

kacklebird 12-25-2011 10:55 PM

Too funny, that's a good one!

quiltingcandy 12-25-2011 11:02 PM

Since you don't say anything about a second date, one assumes that he was just that dumb. But is could have been one of those things that just come out wrong and you can't get back, so you feel like an idiot and don't know what to say next.

katigirl 12-26-2011 12:16 AM

Totally uneducated. lol.

luvTooQuilt 12-26-2011 12:59 AM

I get that comment all the time... Yup foot in the mouth syndrome... then their other foot goes in when I tell them how much the quilts go for.....

.... You just cant fix Stupid....

Sandygirl 12-26-2011 03:49 AM

To his defense, until someone is involved in quilting/sewing, know someone who is or if they have ever gone to a quilt show, people in general do not realize that sewing/quilting is alive and thriving. 7 years ago I was "that person". I had not sewn for years because I no longer enjoyed garment sewing and honestly, I did not know that quilting was going strong. I honestly did not know anything about it. It took a move to a rural area (from a metro area) and I decided to make some curtains for a museum that I go the "bug" to sew. I knew that my town had a quilt shop so I got curious and walked into the door.

Quilting opened up a whole new world for me. I get that rush just "sewing" and piecing quilt tops and making bags, totes and small projects feeds that rush. I took a couple of lessons from this shop and it was enough for me to take the ball and go! I already knew how to sew garments but did not know what tools were needed to piece quilt tops. The store owner and I have been friends ever since and she introduced me to 3 quilt guilds and thus many new friends to connect with.

I am amazed at the creativity and talent in the world of sewing and quilting.

So, when people make innocent comments about sewing/quilting or any other hobby they are not familiar with, it is a learning opp to teach them. Heck, I never knew people actually hunted morels until I saw it on TV!

Give the guy a break. I have to give a lot of ladies like me a break when they don't realize how strong the quilting world really is. If you are not involved, how would you know?

The regret for me is that I did not discover it sooner! (I did not know about rotary cutters! LOL!!)

Sandy

toadmomma 12-26-2011 04:38 AM

My DDIL is that way thinks quilts are for old ladies, thats why she has not gotten one

Glenda m 12-26-2011 06:58 AM

Maybe I'm an 'old lady' (69, next biirthday) in real time, but quilting makes me feel young! I love seeing the designs and the quilts other quilters come up with. Ssoooo much talent out there! I do my quilting the way I want to, no quilt police here, and if it makes me happy...well. So!!! All the 'old ladies' of the quilting world, unite! And no hitting anyone over the head with that new package of batting, just 'educate' them. Happy New Year, everyone!!

ka9sdn 12-26-2011 07:07 AM

Did he realize his error or just go on. Second date?