Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Happened to My Quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-happened-my-quilting-t71693.html)

luckylindy333 10-22-2010 03:06 PM

I am machine quilting and have not done a big quilt before. This is a lap sized quilt and is not coming out too well. It seems like some of the pieces are really stretchy and want to form tucks at the seams (where two lines of quilting cross each other).

I thought stitching in the ditch would be easy but in retrospect I think free motion quilting would have been easier. I also realized that I should switch my foot and put on one that lets me put down my walking foot which is what I am going to do when I start up again. Maybe I will post a picture when I get it done.

I am more into getting it done rather than unsewing any of it! (In case I do post a pic!)

BellaBoo 10-22-2010 03:13 PM

I stretch my quilt sandwich as I FMQ. I keep one hand underneath the quilt and one on top. I can pull the quilt taunt and that really works for me.

I had to quit FMQ for the day, my thread kept breaking. Same thread same needle as before but today it's just not working. I have no idea why. I have double checked everything. :shock: :evil: :roll: :-( :-( :-(

Mattee 10-22-2010 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I stretch my quilt sandwich as I FMQ. I keep one hand underneath the quilt and one on top. I can pull the quilt taunt and that really works for me.

I had to quit FMQ for the day, my thread kept breaking. Same thread same needle as before but today it's just not working. I have no idea why. I have double checked everything. :shock: :evil: :roll: :-( :-( :-(

Is it already all basted?

luckylindy333 10-22-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mattee

Is it already all basted?

Yes, I basted it... it seems like some of the white fabric stretches more, it almost looks like sheeting. My borders also stretched. DF and DM made these blocks about three years ago...

StitchinJoy 10-22-2010 04:45 PM

Is it basted closely? Less than 4 inches is good....

luckylindy333 10-22-2010 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by StitchinJoy
Is it basted closely? Less than 4 inches is good....

Yes my basting was about two inches or less apart in both directions. The more I think about it, the more I wish I had been using the walking foot. duh!

BellaBoo 10-22-2010 06:05 PM

I started pin basting my quilts. I like pin basting much better when FMQ.

luckylindy333 10-22-2010 06:24 PM

I started pin basting my quilts. I like pin basting much better when FMQ.

Bella- I don't know if I am ever going to quilt one again, but if I do, I might pin. I know I kept cutting the basting because I am worrying that if I sew over it, I might have a hard time getting it out. Do you think that may have anything to do with the stretching and puckering and the **** tucks? I am sure it is not going to look as bad as it sounds, just magnified in my view. I laid it down on the floor yesterday and looked at it from the doorway and it was not too bad. I sure would not put it in a show, though!

Marguerita 10-22-2010 06:47 PM

Hi,

It sounds like you might have too much pressure on the presser foot. For normal piecing a good deal of pressure is ok, but for quilting, even stitch-in-the-ditch, if the machine is pressing down on the presser foot too much, it can cause puckering at the "crossover" lines.

I made a video about it and put it up here: Sewing Machine Pressure Settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8qRhWF3CI

I hope this helps :)

Marguerita

luckylindy333 10-22-2010 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Marguerita
Hi,

It sounds like you might have too much pressure on the presser foot. For normal piecing a good deal of pressure is ok, but for quilting, even stitch-in-the-ditch, if the machine is pressing down on the presser foot too much, it can cause puckering at the "crossover" lines.

I made a video about it and put it up here: Sewing Machine Pressure Settings: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8qRhWF3CI

I hope this helps :)

Marguerita

Thanks so much for the great video. That went through my mind when I sat down at the machine today, but I could not remember how to change the foot pressure. I think now it is on the side of the machine (it is a pfaff). I am getting out the book tonight and making sure! I am using a poly batt because I had it on hand. I used to use warm and natural but have not sewn in a few years and am just getting back into it. I think I might try it again now that I have some helpful hints from everyone.