Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what happened to tacking. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-happened-tacking-t119847.html)

lucniak 05-01-2011 05:06 AM

that is a good idea. never thought to do that

QuiltNama 05-01-2011 05:15 AM

Most of my quilts were tacked until I aquired a LA. We have a group that meets every Wed.(Soup group) and all of their quilts are tacked. Many of the churches that are local still tack all of their charity quilts.
Brenda

fabric_fancy 05-01-2011 05:23 AM

your quilt is your artistic expression and you should do what ever you want to join the 3 layers.

BarbZ 05-01-2011 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by raedar63
I tie /tack mine. will never be able to afford a longarm and will most likely never create any quilts good enough to spend more than I have in fabric to have it sent out to quilt.(although I do have a couple planned. If they turn out well enough lol,I have high hopes ha ha)

This is why you don't see me post pics, cause they don't seem to be acceptable as "quilts" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NEVER feel your work isn't acceptable as "quilts" especially on here. We love to see all the hard work everyone on here does. I hated machine quilted quilts for a long time. Have gotten used to them and FMQ my own smaller ones. I still like the looks of tied quilts too. They are so soft looking. Soooo do some show and telling. :) :thumbup:

sewbizgirl 05-01-2011 05:49 AM

I don't care for the look of a tied quilt, myself. To each his (her) own tho, and there is no wrong way to make your quilt. I don't send mine out to be quilted, nor do I have an expensive longarm machine. I machine quilt on a regular machine, or sometimes hand quilt.

Occasionally I see photos of tied quilts posted here, but they are definitely in the minority.

sosew4fun 05-01-2011 06:03 AM

One of our quilt guild members made a quilt from her FIL's old
shirts and sewed on the buttons to take the quilt. Sounds neat
and a great way to reuse old buttons.

Buckeye Rose 05-01-2011 06:36 AM

quilting or tacking for me depends on what I want from the finished quilt. If I want a quilt that is soft, warm and great for cuddling, then I tack or tie. But if I am looking to finish a quilt with a refined and artsy look, then it will be quilted. The amount of quilting done depends on fabrics used and the pattern. I don't like too much quilting because it makes the quilt flatter and much stiffer and not so cuddle friendly.

Wonnie 05-01-2011 06:43 AM

Hmmmmm....I'm probably wrong but, to me, a comforter would be a whole cloth that was tied. If you take the time to piece a quilt together it seems to me that it's still a quilt only using a different finishing method. What say you?

Stitchnripper 05-01-2011 06:44 AM

I think this is the beauty of quilting - everyone can do what pleases them - tie or not, FMQ or not, sent to LA quilter or not... all good options for those who choose them.

Wonnie 05-01-2011 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I think this is the beauty of quilting - everyone can do what pleases them - tie or not, FMQ or not, sent to LA quilter or not... all good options for those who choose them.

LOVE your monicker 'cause I do a lot of "stitchin and rippin'" :lol: