Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What happens in this situation? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-happens-situation-t283163.html)

Vicki1212 10-21-2016 02:09 AM

What happens in this situation?

Yesterday, I was looking for inspiration for a new quilt. Inspired by the patterns of some moroccan floor tiles that I saw online, I drew up a pattern for a lap quilt with fabric requirements, cutting directions and stitching instructions. As it is not a very technical design, I did a Google search today to see if there was anything similar already out there. Lo and behold, an identical design already exists, although I have no idea of the construction method.

So this is my question. If you use a another designers quilt pattern, it is obviously common practice (and good manners) to mention the designer on your quilt label. But in this case, I designed my quilt before I knew that there was an identical pattern already available. When I am finished making my quilt using the pattern I drew up, what do I put on the label?

toverly 10-21-2016 04:35 AM

I would only list the designer's name if you intend to show the quilt for competition or trying to sell it. If it is for your personal use or a gift for a friend, I see no reason to mntion the designer. Though it is nice when the name of the block is in the label in case someone else wants to make it

willferg 10-21-2016 06:09 AM

It's possible that designer came up with his/her pattern from looking at Morrocan tiles, so it's hard to say who should be given credit for the design. Since you came up with your own directions, that process is what you could copyright, if you were to go in that direction.

I don't see any reason to mention the other designer, who had nothing to do with your design.

luvspaper 10-21-2016 06:15 AM

I'd just say "inspired by Morrocan tile pattern". More than one person can be inspired by the same thing! I see no reason to put someone else's name on it!

tessagin 10-21-2016 06:20 AM

Many think alike and that is a known fact. I agree with 'luvspaper' "inspired by" works.

zozee 10-21-2016 07:34 AM

No need to mention the designer unless you are using her intellectual property (i.e., techniques, instructions, quilt name, etc). I've designed what I thought were original things before, figured out the math, wrote directions for myself , only to find out later that others had had the same concept or very similar methods.

dunster 10-21-2016 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper (Post 7682206)
I'd just say "inspired by Morrocan tile pattern". More than one person can be inspired by the same thing! I see no reason to put someone else's name on it!

I agree completely.

QuiltnNan 10-21-2016 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7682285)
No need to mention the designer unless you are using her intellectual property (i.e., techniques, instructions, quilt name, etc). I've designed what I thought were original things before, figured out the math, wrote directions for myself , only to find out later that others had had the same concept or very similar methods.

this was my first thought too

QuiltE 10-21-2016 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by luvspaper (Post 7682206)
I'd just say "inspired by Morrocan tile pattern"..............

Perhaps take it a step further with a photo of the tiles, and where you saw them.

eg. "inspired by this Moroccan tile pattern on the floor of (building) in (town, country) which we visited in (year)

quiltingcandy 10-21-2016 10:45 AM

I agree with QuiltE, if this quilt is for you it will be a nice way to remember the memory.

But as a funny thought, the last time I went to Disneyland, I was in the restroom and noticed the hexagon floor tiles, and liked the design (a very basic GRG) but I liked it, so took a picture of it. (I was a bit concerned because I thought if anyone heard the phone click they must have wondered what the heck I was doing. But that was easier than explaining to others why I was taking pictures of the floor with a bunch of people watching.) So for me I would have the write: Inspired by the tile patter on the floor of the bathroom in Disneyland on April 28, 2016."