Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Happens That You Have UFOs? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-happens-you-have-ufos-t209450.html)

gabeway 12-29-2012 06:58 AM

We put all our UFOs on a list and numbered them by our priorities. We agreed that we couldn't buy anymore material unto we finished a project. So after 18 months we have no more UFOs. It actually feels good. We now have made a list of quilts we want to do and will start on the top of the list after the holidays.

asimplelife 12-29-2012 07:04 AM

My UFOs happened because 1) I was intimidated by sandwiching, quilting and binding. Since I LOVED to piece I just kept on doing what I loved! 2) I started every project that I liked or technique I wanted to try.

Minnesewta-sam 12-29-2012 07:50 AM

I like to try new things. I get bored and just start a new project. Yesterday, I started a paper-pieced hummingbird. I am determined to finish the last two sections today...this is by far the most time consuming little project that I have attempted...but if the multiple odd shaped parts all sew together correctly, it will be a great present to send to my daughter at Ft. Bragg for her 25th birthday.

francie yuhas 12-29-2012 09:16 AM

I sometimes put a UFO in" time out" , often when I let it out,I have developed the skill to finish it with fewer "quilting words"!

Feathers-N-Fur 12-29-2012 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 5746705)
My DH just asked me today "Whatcha makin now?" My reply "Its not what I'm making, its what I'm finally finishing". Theres around 15 to 20 on going projects in my pile at various stages. When the inspiration subsides they are laid aside till it returns. Staying with a quilt from start to finish is almost unheard of here unless its a small project. There are times when I wish for the ability to stick to it, but I feel like they wouldn't finish as nicely. Its like a fine wine, it needs age and a little air to make it sweet.

This is me entirely. I have a set of drawers in my sewing room for my WIP's (work in progress). I usually will finish the blocks, then set them aside till I feel like finishing the top, then set it aside till I feel like quilting it. It will happen, someday. I do get to them, it just takes awhile. I usually hate the projects I have to make by a deadline, because I look at them later and think, oh this would have been better this was... but I rushed through instead of giving it time.

meanmom 12-30-2012 05:40 AM

Most of my UFO's happen because I have so many ideas swirling around in my head. I get a quilt about 3/4 of the way finished and get tired of it and start something else. It isn't that I don't like the UFO I just NEED to make the next quilt. I am making myself finish at least 1 UFO before I start another quilt. My goal for the year is to get to the bottom of my UFO pile.

coopah 12-30-2012 06:40 AM

My UFOs are because I like to make the tops and that's it. The rest of the process doesn't interest me. So to get a quilt done, it has to go to a LAQer or I have to very ineptly quilt it on my machine. No stamina!

Scakes 12-30-2012 07:23 AM

Why do I have UFOs? Good question. I think a lot of them come from the fact that I seem to get sidetracked easily and do something else instead. Maybe because the quilt or whatever wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Several of my UFOs are wall hangings. I don't have any walls to hang them on so they got set aside. A couple of them are winnings from BOMs. I never could come up with a good sashing fabric that I liked and they got set aside. I have several quilt tops that are done - just need to layer and quilt them. One of my hopes for 2013 is to finish some of these UFOs and do something with them - use them, give as gifts if they do turn out well, donate .....

jeanharville 12-30-2012 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 5745314)
shiny objects are my downfall. LOL

squirrel!

I say that about myself all the time. :)

bobquilt3 12-30-2012 10:13 AM

I am a puzzle-solver. I design most of my quilts and when I see them come together, I begin to loose interest. I know what it's going to look like, I like it or i don't but I've solved the puzzle. I do not enjoy quilting (Machine or hand) and unless it's for someone very special or a new technique I'm really excited about, it tends to be put aside. This isn't right but then a lotta' stuff I do isn't ( grin)