Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What the HECK Is the Secret?!?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-heck-secret-t171480.html)

amyjo 12-10-2011 07:38 AM

yeah, just went there. had to sign up to use the site and then couldn't get the pattern anyway. will probably be getting a bunch of junk now.

BellaBoo 12-10-2011 07:39 AM

I learned for my sanity when sewing small circles for projects, I sew the fabric circle to interfacing or fuse it, don't cut them out yet, and then use the machine stitch of choice to sew around the circle I may have to sew more then I need to end up with nice round ones. I then cut out sewn circles and glue baste them to the item and then hand sew them on the project.

Oh forgot to say when sewing larger circles I use the Fat Quarter Font method from Atkinson Designs. It's an old technique but I suggest buying the book to have clear understandable instructions. The book is old so should be found at 1/2 price by now somewhere. There maybe a youtube video showing the method. It's super easy.

catmcclure 12-10-2011 07:46 AM

If you have a hole in your machine close enough to the needle position, you can put a pushpin through your fabric center and into the hole. Hold the pushpin down with your finger and your fabric will go in a perfect circle. You can do the same thing with larger circles by using a piece of matboard that's taped to your machine, either to the right or left of your needle.

carolynjo 12-10-2011 08:09 AM

If you want tosew a large circle, try this golden oldie method: Cut the circle(s) the size you need plus seam allowance. Tape a thumbtack, point side up, where the center point of your circle is. Put the outside edge of the circle under the presser foot and slowly stitch around the edge, lifting the presser foot to accommodate the curvature every few stitches. When you finish, clip a hole and turn inside out and press. Hope this helps.

judord 12-10-2011 08:28 AM

Nancy's Notions has some gadget for sewing accurate circles.

crafterrn1 12-10-2011 08:31 AM

All great ideas! But also uase a stablizer for the back of the applique. Yes go slow and use the tack method as well. Good luck love the Owls!

Teri D 12-10-2011 08:59 AM

I split my vote between the group that prefers the "wonky" irregular look and those who suggest raw edge applique for these adorable owls!

Re: a circle attachment: Bernina has a circle attachment. I bought one a long time ago but haven't used it yet. It works on the same principle as the "thumbtack" approach described above -- and the thumbtack would be a whole LOT less expensive!

Taino Jan 12-10-2011 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB (Post 4765831)

Thank you for the link. Great info.

LindaDeeter 12-10-2011 10:57 AM

Oh My!!! He's adorable but he looks like somebody spiked his holiday punch! :o

Scakes 12-10-2011 12:18 PM

Love the little owls. they are way too cute! Enjoyed reading all the tips and advice you're getting.