Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I didn't buy today! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-didnt-buy-today-t62376.html)

Ditter43 08-31-2010 12:09 PM

I went into my favorite thrift store today and they had a sale, any one item for 50% off. I fould an old singer, electric, in a decent cabinet. It was marked $40.00 so I could have bought it for $20.00.I don't know if it worked and I just don't have room for another machine! I am still trying to figure out where to put my tredle when I finish cleaning it up! ;-)

Susy 08-31-2010 12:11 PM

Yup, I guess this "collecting" can get out of hand, I had no desire for any "old" machines til I joined this website, now I always keep my eyes open.

virtualbernie 08-31-2010 12:12 PM

I hear ya loud and clear! Me 2!

craftybear 08-31-2010 12:13 PM

please please go back and rescue the old machine, it is calling your name!

quiltinghere 08-31-2010 12:15 PM

Ohhhhhhhh If it was one I didn't have, I'd have a heck of a time walking away from it...especially if it was in nice shape.

If it were better than one I had, I would have bought it and gotten rid of the yuckier one at home.

YOU ARE ONE TOUGH WOMAN!!! GO GIRL!!!

Joanie2 08-31-2010 01:52 PM

I applaud you for your restraint. I have the same issues when I got to our thrift stores. Of course we don't have sewing machines or fabric at them -- too many quilters in our area -- but I feel like I can't walk out empty handed. I don't need or have room for another pretty piece of glass or nick nack. So I've solved that issue -- I buy for my secret sisters at guild or for my friends for birthday gifts. So I say, good for you!

MaryStoaks 08-31-2010 01:54 PM

I have too many wonderful old machines too. You have to decide if you have enough room. I've been gifting some of mine to friends. I would have walked away from the good oldie too.

SherriB 08-31-2010 02:01 PM

Our Salvation Army had a Singer 306W for only $20. It was in excellent condition but without any manual or feet. I would have bought it but I already have a 306W. It is really hard to pass up the vintage machines.

Melanie S. 08-31-2010 02:02 PM

Speaking of old machines, I have a great old Singer that has developed a nasty temperament. It only skips stitches when I am using it at home. When I take it in to be serviced, it doesn't behave badly. The repair man even gives me the samples and the stitches look fine.

I have replaced the gears and had the tension adjusted. I love this old machine and I have pieced and free-motion quilted many gorgeous quilts on it. Why is it behaving like this?

hobo2000 08-31-2010 02:10 PM

Sometimes we get in a hurry and blaze down the runway and oops a skipped stitch or 2 or 4. It generally happens when we are not smooth on the takeoff. I find myself doing it I literally stomp the foot to go faster instead of slowly increasing the speed. Try slowing down slightly.