Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I hate about popular purse and wallet patterns (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-hate-about-popular-purse-wallet-patterns-t172272.html)

mom-6 12-18-2011 09:51 PM

If all it requires is square or rectangular pieces, why would you not just cut them with your rotary cutter and ruler? I don't see any reason to mess with a pattern for that... My cutting is much more accurate that way than with scissors and a pattern.

Grandma58 12-18-2011 10:54 PM

I do not like them either and I use some kind of weird stabilizer stuff for pattern pieces when I find a pieces that works. I will try to remember to take pics. All we really need is a basic shape.

Katiequiltsalot 12-19-2011 01:28 AM

When I buy a pattern I don't want to have to measure it out. I just want to make what I bought! I thought that was the whole idea of a pattern. Unless I'm designing my own I'd rather have a paper pattern.

IBQLTN 12-19-2011 10:38 AM

I don't want to have to pin a pattern on fabric to cut straight line pieces when I can simply cut (2) pieces 15" x 19". However, I don't like getting pathetic directions either. That happened with the twister wreath pattern and I was really disappointed.

Lazy Girl design bag patterns have full color step by step photographs of the pattern, with well written directions, but no pattern pieces because they are easily cut with a rotary cutter and ruler. Her patterns rock! (no affiliation). Try one of them before you write off all bag pattern makers, some of them are very talented. JMHO

BellaBoo 12-19-2011 06:08 PM

I use a lot of Simplicity craft patterns and they are all on tissue paper. I cut out the pattern pieces and then fuse lightweight interfacing to the back. I can still see the cutting and mark lines if I have to turn the pattern piece over. The tissue never tears and so easy to put in a zip lock and not have fold lines.

Sandygirl 09-13-2012 03:15 AM

I would not even dream of making a pattern piece. Too much work and not necessary. Interesting...... Yes, I came from a garment background.

Sandy

alikigirl 09-13-2012 04:25 AM

I don't understand why you would want a paper pattern of a rectangle or square. It is much easier to cut with rotary cutter and ruler. For the small, independent pattern designers (not McCalls, etc) I'm sure it would not be cost effective to add more sheets of paper with large rectangles drawn on it. Have you priced the oversized paper? And if you wanted to use tissue paper, where do you get access to it and get it printed?
IMHO, the small, independent pattern designers are where the good ideas come from - the big companies just copy them after the pattern becomes popular.

Casi 09-13-2012 06:39 AM

Does anyone here have a wallet pattern that they would want to share?

MommaDorian 09-13-2012 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Casi (Post 5511164)
Does anyone here have a wallet pattern that they would want to share?

I'd like to know also. I bought a pattern called The Perfect Wallet at a quilt show last year. The directions are very difficult to understand. I found another member on this site that had also tried it, also found it difficult to understand. Although I will say, the owner of the pattern was VERY helpful with helping me understand the directions. We emailed back and forth until I figured it out. I printed his email to save for later, but I can't make myself make another one. I made 2, one is mine (in my purse right now) and the other is my MIL's.

LisaGibbs 09-13-2012 11:49 AM

I never thought about it, I just made the pieces that they called and took post it notes to tell me what the piece was for and stuck it to the fabric until it was time to use it.