Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I have learned and questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-have-learned-questions-t284148.html)

dottiemae 12-01-2016 09:20 AM

What I have learned and questions

I have learned so much in the last couple of weeks. 1. Pressing not ironing. Not a big one. but a good lesson nonetheless. 2. make sure rotary blades are tight so they are not flopping all around or coming off. 3. It is good to square up fabric and check throughout cutting strips from time to time because of reason #4. 4. Make sure rulers have no rough edges or dings on the sides. Your perfect cut can be an off cut by a lot! 5. Take your time and enjoy the process. Don't set goals too high if you are a beginner. Relax. 6. Make sure your sewing machine is doing its job properly and not throwing fabric seams off by a big margin. My old machine had feed dogs that were designed weirdly. The pressure foot don't even sit on the one to the right. My mom being a seamstress for years, said she has never seen anything like it. haha.

A couple of weeks ago I wanted to finally learn to do the stiles and path block. Well, it didn't happen. I fixed the pressing issue. Fixed the cutting issue with a new ruler that wasn't messed up on the sides. Relaxed. But I couldn't fix the sewing machine issues. I tried and learned many valuable lessons. Then I listened to my husband. He said hun it isn't you its the machine. You have had issues with it since you got it 12yrs ago. Lets buy you a new one.
With early Christmas gift, I am now doing a baby size Rail Fence Quilt. So, far so good. All seams are lining up. Machine runs smooth. Getting ready to put my top together. And then it happened. I realized that in 18 of the blocks the middle strip is darker than the rest of the quilt. Oh no. I think I am going to run with it and do this : 6 blocks of original color for the first row. then 6 blocks of the Oopsy row. then original color row. etc. It would put the oopsy rows every other row and buy backing to match the oopsy row to tie it all together shade wise. Not what I intended to do, but for a first quilt I can deal with it. But, knowing me. I will just go buy 3 more fat quarters and get the right shade and save my oopsy strips for another project. a doll quilt for the granddaughters perhaps :). Guess making sure you get the right shades of fabrics would be lesson 7.

My question is this: I have been looking at batting at the stores. Some say 2-5% shrinkage. What does that exactly mean and how will that affect the overall quilt when it is done and washed? Surely , you don't wash it first and dry it. Do you? I have hand washed my fat quarters and starched them too. Makes squaring them up much easier. In my opinion. The soft and lofty seems too bulky to me. I could be wrong. Maybe it is different once it is out of the package.

Hope you all are having a great quilting day

Tartan 12-01-2016 09:28 AM

Using your blocks every other rows sounds like a good design option. Batting does shrink a but when the quilt is washed. Many want that slightly wrinkled look but you can block your quilt when it comes out of the dryer slightly damp if that bothers you. I recommend a Hobbs 80/20 batt for your first machine quilting try.

Sewnoma 12-01-2016 09:49 AM

You can also pre-wash cotton batting that has a scrim on a gentle cycle and toss it in the dryer (also on gentle) to pre-shrink it. Or let it air dry. I was scared to try this the first time but it worked great and have done it a few times since then. Just make sure your batting has a scrim so it doesn't fall apart on you. (I usually use Warm & Natural, can tell you for sure that one holds up to a gentle wash just fine.)

Or use poly. Poly doesn't shrink. :)

But most of the time I just let it shrink, as it gives quilts that crinkly look and it helps enhance any fancy quilting you've done.

dorismae904 12-01-2016 10:03 AM

So what new machine did you get

orangeroom 12-01-2016 10:42 AM

Glad you learned a lot. Now just remember it for your entire life! I use 100% cotton batting and I don't pre-wash anything. I also gift all the quilts prior to first wash. I tell recipients to wash in cold and hang dry. I don't know if any of the darker colors have bled after washing or drying. No one has told me if they did. Wouldn't change how much love went into the making of it. I notify recipients that it may look all wrinkly after washing/drying. Good luck with your quilting adventures!

Daylesewblessed 12-01-2016 10:47 AM

I pre-shrink all cotton and wool batting before using. I do not like the crinkly look. It is all a matter of preference.

PaperPrincess 12-01-2016 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed (Post 7710044)
I pre-shrink all cotton and wool batting before using. I do not like the crinkly look. It is all a matter of preference.

Me too! Follow the directions on the package or website.
I like Warm & Natural batting.
The batting packaging will tell you other things in addition to the fiber content. Pay close attention to the maximum quilting distance. Every batt is different, ranging from 2" to 10". Remember that this measurement is in all directions, including the diagonal.

Austinite 12-01-2016 11:44 AM

I use Soft & Bright batting which is 100% poly batt by the warm company. It's low loft but not quite as flat as warm and natural. I really like it, used it for years, I just completed a jelly roll couch quilt and washed it yesterday and I got what I call "a medium crinkle" that is, the batt didn't shrink but the fabric did a teeny bit, it's quilted about every 2-3". I love the look and it's so snuggly with the perfect amount of puff

dottiemae 12-01-2016 11:55 AM

I have a non expensive sewing machine. Just starting out and all. It is a brother SQ9185 with 11 feet including quilting feet ( walking foot, 1/4 " seam , quilting foot, quilting guide and eyelet punch) not bad for extra feet and accessories. It was 249 then on sale for 199 and got to cash register and it was 149 so it allowed me some fat quarters to start with. :)

Thank you for the information on the batting. I wasn't sure if wrinkly was a preferred thing in quilts or not. I have nurses and seamstresses and crocheters in my family so haven't been around many. The ones my aunts have weren't wrinkly. so your information and expertise is very valuable. I will have to check out some more quilt images and watch for wrinkly affect. Its like photos . you look at it. walk away come back and analyze it some more. then again.

Oh by the way, I am finding this whole process very relaxing and peaceful. I am enjoying myself probably way to much , but hey, got to get that enjoyment in somehow :)

bearisgray 12-01-2016 12:24 PM

I prefer the finished item to be as flat as possible, so i wash everything that is washable before cutting it.

"Wash"- in my case - means soaking in hot water
For about an hour and then a gentle wash with cold to warm water and then dry on medium heat.

I think it is the agitation of a lengthy washing and/or drying time ghat gives fabric that "not new" look.