Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned at quilt retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-quilt-retreat-t202831.html)

#1piecemaker 10-11-2012 12:57 PM

hehehehe!!! I don't blame you a bit. I had to laugh out loud at your experience.

christinetindell 10-11-2012 12:58 PM

Oh and another thing...where we go to retreat, the cell phones don't work because there are no towers nearby. That problem solved, there is a rule that if you want to listen to music, you listen to your Iphod with headphones because everyone doesn't like the same music. In the 12 or so I've been on there have only been 2 people that got under my skin. I always ask if they have signed up because one of them tried to discipline everyone for laughing and having a good time. The other one spoke so loudly that no one else could carry on a conversation. And if you did talk to your friend, she butted into every conversation in the room. And then late at night told people to go to bed and then was up at 6 talking loudly again. Sorry, if I want to sleep til 9, I will. So, I've brought earplugs, face mask, and my Ipod for those times I want to be in my own little world.

asimplelife 10-11-2012 01:13 PM

I've never been on a quilt retreat, but I used to go to a lot of conferences for work. One year I sat next to someone who was quite distracted. As we talked during the breaks and over lunches, I learned that he and his wife were in the process of adopting an Eastern European baby and were waiting to hear when they could pick her up. We became good friends and stayed in touch via email and other work events. They now have 3 children from the same orphanage (2 are siblings).

I share this because, like most things in life, sometimes you get lucky and make a new friend. Other times you grit your teeth and make the most of it.

BTW I would never get anything done at a quilt retreat because I'm am easily distracted. I'd have to sew string quilt blocks or some other "mindless" type of project otherwise I'd be constantly messing it up!

quiltgal 10-11-2012 01:20 PM

Wow! There are many different descriptions of what happens at retreats as there are retreats! I go to two or three retreats every year. Get so much done and have a lot of room to work! I would feel deprived if I was not able to go to my retreats!

mrsponcho1 10-11-2012 01:31 PM

My son's mother in law was a hostess for a retreat back in September. She had asked me several times about attending, but I told her that I just didn't know if that was my thing, since I like my peace and quite while working. Well, I talked to my sister in law and we decided to give it a try. My sister in law got a full time teaching position and her first day was the first day of the retreat. So, I went by myself - now I'm not one to venture very far from home and especially not for a 5 day overnight retreat. Packed bedding and sewing stuff and headed out. I knew that I might have trouble concentrating so picked projects accordingly. No teaching, everyone worked on their own projects. I did not get alot done but I went for the purpose of meeting new people. I had a great time and met a wonderful group of women. They have decided to do 2 retreats next year and I have already sent my deposits in for both of them.

So if any of you are in my area and would like to attend, let me know and I will get you the information.

btw - no alcohol was allowed but we didn't need it to have a great time - altho I missed my vodka and seven up at bedtime to help me unwind - lol

wildyard 10-11-2012 01:55 PM

Those are great tips in case I can ever afford to go to one. smiles and hugs!

Scissor Queen 10-11-2012 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by mrsponcho1 (Post 5578551)
My son's mother in law was a hostess for a retreat back in September. She had asked me several times about attending, but I told her that I just didn't know if that was my thing, since I like my peace and quite while working. Well, I talked to my sister in law and we decided to give it a try. My sister in law got a full time teaching position and her first day was the first day of the retreat. So, I went by myself - now I'm not one to venture very far from home and especially not for a 5 day overnight retreat. Packed bedding and sewing stuff and headed out. I knew that I might have trouble concentrating so picked projects accordingly. No teaching, everyone worked on their own projects. I did not get alot done but I went for the purpose of meeting new people. I had a great time and met a wonderful group of women. They have decided to do 2 retreats next year and I have already sent my deposits in for both of them.

So if any of you are in my area and would like to attend, let me know and I will get you the information.

btw - no alcohol was allowed but we didn't need it to have a great time - altho I missed my vodka and seven up at bedtime to help me unwind - lol

Hmmm, you're not too awful far from me. PM me the info and I might go!

Scotlass 10-11-2012 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by indymta (Post 5577321)
This my experience...assigned placement. My last retreat I was next to a woman whose machine rattled not only the table but my teeth too. Made it difficult to work and concentrate. Not a fun weekend.

I had to laugh at your comment, as I just finished a class with a table mate that had an old machine that she ran 100 miles an hour - it was noisy and bounced my little featherweight inches into the air. Needless to say my seams weren't as nice as I had hoped. Fortunately that was just an evening class and not a retreat that I had paid $$ to attend.

sewsew busy 10-11-2012 04:29 PM

So glad you enjoyed it after all.

Debbie C 10-11-2012 05:59 PM

this is why I don't do retreats - too much drama