Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I see as a Longarm Quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-see-longarm-quilter-t196689.html)

Quiltngolfer 08-04-2012 01:52 PM

Thanks for the info. I would like a nice page that I could print listing the Do's and don'ts of getting a quilt ready for the longarmer. The first one I sent out luckily turned out great. She said mine was good. Yeah!!! She also showed me one someone else brought her that had a very wavy border. She did a good job of quilting out the waves.

Tartan 08-04-2012 02:17 PM

No flak here. Really good hints on getting my quilts ready to go to the LA. All the long arm quilt I've seen done by QB LA members have been awesome. I think QB has the cream of the crop though.

quiltyfeelings 08-04-2012 04:33 PM

Sure wish the quiltingboard had a "Like" button like Facebook!

joyce888 08-04-2012 04:45 PM

Thanks. I don't LA but its good to know what I need to do to make the LAing easier.

ube quilting 08-04-2012 05:20 PM

I have done many quilts with degrees of problems. I do let people know, after I have gone over the quilt, What problems I may have with it. Sometimes this becomes a sewing lesson and people improve their piecing and are glad about it. Others are not so willing to think they have a situation with their quilt that may cause a problem. Oh well! I let everyone know there are no garuntees and I'll do my best with what I'm given. LAM quilters are not mirical workers although some times it seems like it!

peace

peace

sew_Tracy 08-04-2012 05:22 PM

I can only dream about being in your position!

Gramie bj 08-04-2012 06:00 PM

Your post is very informative. I have a LA but only do my own, I have enough problems with my own quilts I will never try to work on someone elses!

alisonquilts 08-04-2012 06:33 PM

Great post! I quilt my own stuff on my DSM or by hand, and don't anticipate ever sending anything out, but I was fascinated by your article, and learned a ton of stuff that I will keep in mind as I piece. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

Alison

momto5 08-04-2012 06:39 PM

You were in my house when I loaded that last quilt I did! Seriously, good commentary and I think the points you brought up are ones LA'ers get all the time. Thanks from all of us who LA!

Jennie and Me 08-04-2012 06:54 PM

As a long-arm quilter, I always stress the importance of accurate measuring and cutting, 1/4 inch seams and pressing. But then I always press a top(mine or a customers) before I load it on the machine. I float all of the tops, no matter what size and it seems to help with most wavy borders. However, I have gotten some tops that were sewn with anywhere from 1/8" to 1/2" seams with puckers already in the seams and to say those are a challenge is a mild understatement. Puckers will show up and there really isn't much you can do about it except try to hide them and most of the time it works. But you know what, the quilt still turns out beautiful and the customers end up happy and that pleases me. So far I've been fortunate enough to not receive a quilt that is beyond salvation. It's very gratifying to see pleasure in a customer's face or to get a thankful e-mail if it's by mail. It just makes my day!
Oh, and I want to add the importance of the backing and batting to be at least 3" bigger on all 4 sides. Way important!