Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What if our flour, sugar, cornmeal,etc. .... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-if-our-flour-sugar-cornmeal-etc-t156618.html)

willis.debra 10-01-2011 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dodie
I just don't understand this "green" stuff they want you to buy fabric bags in the store to carry your groceries or whatever out but go down the isle and buy plastic garbage bags and everything else in plastic containers people use to really be "green" mild, soda, canned goods all kinds of stuff came in glass returnable bottles there was no plastic for the garbage and not until all this other stuff changes why worry about "green"

The reason they want you to buy reusable bags is because the plastic bags cost the grocery store, the reusable bags cost you. It's all about money!

SandraQuilts 10-01-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by willis.debra

I just don't understand this "green" stuff they want you to buy fabric bags in the store to carry your groceries or whatever out but go down the isle and buy plastic garbage bags and everything else in plastic containers people use to really be "green" mild, soda, canned goods all kinds of stuff came in glass returnable bottles there was no plastic for the garbage and not until all this other stuff changes why worry about "green"

The reason they want you to buy reusable bags is because the plastic bags cost the grocery store, the reusable bags cost you. It's all about money!

YOU GOT IT!!!~ Not many people realize this... That's another reason we went to plastic. It's cheaper for them.

GrannieAnnie 10-01-2011 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sheepshed
Lets see...
I buy about one bag of flour per year, havent bought a *bag* of sugar or corn meal in a couple decades.....
Would we have to wash the FORMALDEHYDE out of the bag after we emptied the flour out of it, before we sewed with it ?
Did you know the cloth groceries bags were tested by permission of grocery shoppers in several grocery stores a few months ago, and over 90% of them had some level of salmonella and/or E. coli contamination? Do you realize how many people do NOT wash their cloth grocery bags after every use ? It was interesting.. just a thought.....

The grocery bags I've bought from stores will NOT wash.

Which is why I make my own that do wash-----------on hot!

GrannieAnnie 10-01-2011 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
Well, the price of fabric these days is not cheap either & I would wonder about the shelf life of the products. Then, of course, there is the expense of changing machinery to accomodate sewing instead of handling cardboard & plastic. I don't think we will ever go back to the "good old days."

And how many people would throw the bags away?

I'll vote to keep flour packaging as it is.

GrannieAnnie 10-01-2011 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by willis.debra

I sew my own bags for this reason, I refuse to crawl under the car when the soup can rolls under it after the plastic bag breaks as I'm putting stuff in the trunk.

I use my bags for my convenience-----------the store hates them. One gal even looked for the price tags and about accused me of stealing when she opened the bag and found it was full of other bags. "This is a bag full of bags" "Yep, you're right" She still searched each one for a price tag.

Annya 10-03-2011 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
You're forgetting about the bar symbols that are needed for scanning. It would not be practical to print those on fabric because they would crack or flake off. I have noticed that you can sometimes buy big bags of rice in fabric bags. They are not very nice though.

They could still put the paper labels on the bags with the bar code on it just like they have now. I is easy to remove the label before washing the bag.