Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I've learned about Quilting.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-ive-learned-about-quilting-t219906.html)

Suziuki 04-26-2013 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo (Post 6024085)
That quilters are the most generous people on the internet, with their time, supplies and comfort for those in need.

I agree, when people are interested in learning to quilt I tell them that with all the craft I have done over the years quilting is the only one I have found where fellow quilters are so willing to share knowledge and spend time helping others and this appears to be worldwide. Maybe this is the solution to world peace, get everyone to quilt. Silly idea, who would we make the quilts for?

QandE2010 04-26-2013 04:34 PM

If I listed everything that I have learned on this book, it would fill a book. I think one of the tips I apply ALL the time is to starch generously. It makes the whole process run so much smoother. I love this board & the generous and kind people that participate. I have to get my "fix" every day. Thanks y'all. :) :) :)

CRO 04-26-2013 04:54 PM

I would have to say that even though I had made 4 quilts in the last 2 yrs. Everything I know I learned here in the last couple months. Most important to me was a scant 1/4 inch seam. Pressing not ironing. Squaring up blocks and nesting seams. Starching has been a biggy! Applique is coming by reading this board.
I don't know now how I managed to make those 4 without this knowledge. I am forever grateful to the members of this board. I read it every day now.

jmoore 04-27-2013 02:25 AM

gosh, I have learned so on this board and am addicted to the friendly, helpful and inspiring members here... as much as I hate to admit it, I visit the board almost every day...

Until 2011, I had not quilted for more than 30 years (high school Home Economics) and when I started in 2011, I was overwhelmed by the tools and machines that were available. With the help of members here, I decided to purchase a Janome MC6600 and away I went.

Some of the things I've learned that have made a huge difference in my quilting projects is chain stitching, paper-piecing, and binding techniques. The members are amazing. I have received personal messages from members with specific guidance on projects or recommended tutorials, everyone is so helpful...

TX GMimi 04-27-2013 10:20 AM

What have I learned? That this group doesn't hesitate to step up to the plate to help! That is so very important to all of us! Thanks, bunches, to each and every one of you!! You brighten my day!

QuiltyK 04-28-2013 05:16 AM

I have learned so many things. Everyone is so helpful. There is no quilt police. You do as YOU like. Chain sewing is much quicker and be used many more times than I first thought.

ssnare 04-28-2013 05:21 AM

I have not heard about a cookie tray to smooth out a quilt backing. What do you do?
I have learned that I do not have to be perfect. After all, it is my quilt and I can use what colors I want to and change the design if I want to.

Puddin57 04-28-2013 12:36 PM

ok, while I loved sewing with fresh new 100% pre-washed cotton, I think I'd switch to a poly-cotton blend.....I do and don't like the wrinkled effect when done - but to each their own

Luv Quilts and Cats 04-28-2013 12:55 PM

I've been impressed with all the ideas people come up with! Amazing, amazing!

earlori7 04-29-2013 05:09 AM

I too was a long time sewer and only came to quilting a few years ago. What I have learned from all the generous quilters on this board has been invaluable. My quilts are getting better all the time. Thanks to you all who share. One of the most informative for me recently was the one about starching the fabric before cutting. I had everyone that before.