Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-keeps-me-making-real-quilts-binding-cant-do-t137632.html)

0tis 07-14-2011 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
OK. Go to www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe see if you can find the video on binding that I did.
But to answer your question. When you are doing patchwor and the blocks come out to the edge of the qult you normally have only 1/4 inch seam allowance for your binding. If you have a border then you have have a 1/4" or larger. I do borders so my allowance is 3/8"
Generally, for a 3/8" seam allowance I cut the binding 2.1/4" and double it. For a 1/4" seam allowance, about 2" is sufficient. As a general guide your cut binding for a double fold binding is 6 times the width of your seam allowance. But you have to adjust to make sure this is ok as sometimes it is too wide for me.
Look for the QuiltersTV show I did on bindings. I believe you will find it helpful. Having sai all this, you will find each quilt has his or her favorite method of binding so don't be confused because they all work. f course, my instructions are the best....lol.

This worked for me !

tootskellett 07-14-2011 01:42 PM

I also use a 2 1/2 inch strip. I Iron it in half, wrong sides together. I make a test before I start for real. I sew the binding with a 1/4 in. seam for about 2 inches onto the front of the quilt. Remove from the machine and turn the binding to the back to see if the folded edge falls where you want it to. (just covering your first stitch) Adjust your seam allowance to compensate for the batting you are using etc. Once I am satisfied I sew all 4 sides with my desired seam allowance and hand stitch to the back. The type and thickness of batting can make a difference in your finished edge. I hope this helps it is probably clear as mud LOL). Toots

ChrisB 07-14-2011 01:45 PM

I use 2" strips and 1/4" seams. I make sure the edges are trimmed up straight. I sew both sides first. I sew binding to the back first, then press out flat with iron, then fold and press raw edge just to the edge of quilt. Then Fold over to the front, just covering the stitches from the back. Works for me. Until I started using a walking foot, my binding were always rippled, now they are smooth and flat.

Jill 07-14-2011 01:45 PM

Do you live near anyone who can help you? Otherwise, several good tutorials were listed in the messages. I love to do binding and wish I could help you in person. I think the reason I enjoy doing the binding is because then I know the quilt is almost finished and it's time to start another project. And please don't worry about it being perfect. After nine years of quilting mine aren't perfect, but they are much better than when I first started. Please ask questions if you need more help.

Chele 07-14-2011 01:45 PM

Don't be discouraged. Binding is so hard at first, but you're going to laugh at how easy it is once you master it.

I use a variety of techniques I picked up through tutorials and books. Some of those tutorials went way over my head. Here are some links that helped me and my hard head:

http://heatherbailey.typepad.com/pho...ing/index.html

http://crazymomquilts.blogspot.com/2...-tutorial.html

http://ankastreasures.wordpress.com/.../binding-tips/

I cut most of my binding 2.25" and use a 1/4" seam allowance. I always use my walking foot to attach the binding. It makes everything feed evenly. To get those mitered corners, stop 1/4" from the edge and pivot your quilt. You don't have to snip the threads or anything. Just fold back the binding lining up all edges and continue sewing. Joining the ends diagonally was something I didn't master until recently. It makes hand sewing the binding to the backing much easier. No lumps!

Good luck, I know you can do it!

susie-susie-susie 07-14-2011 01:45 PM

I do it like Madquilter and Holice. All the ways listed will work. Don't be intimidated by binding. It is really quite easy. Just like everything else--practice practice practice. Good luck
Sue

wyoming_quilter 07-14-2011 01:46 PM

Don't get discouraged. If you are near a LQS stop in and ask someone to help you. If you aren't near a shop try to find somebody in your town that could help. I understand middle of nowhere on a hilltop, but hopefully you can find someone to help. Sometimes it is easier to learn something by having someone show you. Hang in there!

Just-Lee 07-14-2011 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by nyelphaba
Seam allowance for applying binding is 1/4". The size of the finished amount of your binding should be the perimeter of your quilt and I add 12", this allows for mitering the corners and overlapping the ends. The total length of the binding is many strips of (for me ) 2 1/2" fabric sewn together . Does this help you? Maybe I did not understand your questions.

Thank you for your response and I will take any help I can get! lol What I am asking, is how do you decide how wide to make your binding strips? And, how can the seam allowance be 1/4", no matter how wide the strip is? Wouldn't this leave you with a baggy binding, or is it not supposed to fit snuggly against the edge of the quilt? They don't seem to really cover that in any of the videos. I also just majorly flubbed where you join the 2 strips....that was an epic fail.

If there is anyone in the Lexington, KY area who would be willing to teach me this and possibly FMQ, I would happily pay a qualified person :)

luckylindy333 07-14-2011 01:51 PM

I always use a 2 1/2" strip, too. I don't try to miter any seams, but I do miter the corners. Luckily for me a good friend showed me how to do it and sewed me up a sample that I always have close by to dissect if I forget how to do the corners.

Just-Lee 07-14-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I cut my strips 2 1/4" and fold it in half. I sew it on larger than 1/4" seam allowance. Usually mine pulls further to the back than there is on the front - no matter what I do. So I accept it, sew it down and move on. Sometimes finished is way better than perfect.

DITTO! That is what I don't get! I only use Warm & Natural from Joann's, so however thick you would call that! Anyway, I always have too much wrapped around and don't know what to do with it!

I have to go outside for a bit, but will be back to respond to many suggestions...keep them coming guys & gals! Yeehaw! lol