Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This is what keeps me from making real quilts...BINDING-CAN'T DO IT!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-keeps-me-making-real-quilts-binding-cant-do-t137632.html)

aronel 07-15-2011 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I cut my strips 2 1/4" and fold it in half. I sew it on larger than 1/4" seam allowance. Usually mine pulls further to the back than there is on the front - no matter what I do. So I accept it, sew it down and move on. Sometimes finished is way better than perfect.

This works for me.

sandy l 07-15-2011 07:13 AM

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/[/quote]

It's probably out of print, but "The Complete Book of Machine Quilting", Robbie and Tony Fanning, (second edition, 1994) became my bible when I started quilting. Charts, pictures, etc. on binding. It really helped me.

grammy17 07-15-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryUK
I always do double binding....cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, then stitch to front of quilt with 1/4" seam. Flip to back of quilt and hand stitch!!! Works for me!!

Well, I do double binding, cut strip 2 1/2", fold in half, stitch to back with 1/4"seam and then machine stitch to front. Watch the video every time from this board about how to end the binding. Since I learned all this here, I'm in heaven.

Landers 07-15-2011 08:00 AM

I used 2 1/4 strips and 1/4 seam allowance.

IdahoSandy 07-15-2011 08:09 AM

I do not like those really wide bindings, so use 1 1/2 inch with a 1/4 seam allowance. Start a few inches down from one corner applying the binding facing the quilt(be sure to turn under the raw edge on the starting end about 1/2-1 inch), so when you get done attaching it, turn the binding over, then turn the edge under, pin and I then hand sew it. If you are using a higher loft you will probably have to increase the width of binding. I use low loft on all my quilts.
IdahoSandy

cactusmomma 07-15-2011 08:09 AM

I love that!!! "Sometimes finished is way better than perfect." As a sometimes very frustrated perfectionist, if you don't mind, I'm going to adopt that as my new slogan. Maybe then I can FINALLY finish something!!!

Bluequilter 07-15-2011 08:37 AM

I do the same.

Eliebelle 07-15-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Just-Lee
Sorry for the yelling, but I am just sooo discouraged!! I have watched a blue million videos, but still manage to screw things up. How do you figure what your seam allowance should be for binding? I didn't realize you had to do this, as I thought everything was 1/4"...not that my 1/4" is great.

What size of strip do you use when making binding? What allowance do you use when machine sewing? GAHHHHHHH!!!! I feel like Charlie Brown when he lands on his back from missing the football kick! :-/

Oh, my dear - the responses to your post will be very helpful to you - it took me FOREVER to figure it out, but with LOTS of practice and spending many "special hours" with Jack (the ripper), the light bulb FINALLY went on! Personally, I'm thinking of trying glue for the next one...

TonnieLoree 07-15-2011 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
The quilt police will arrest me for typing this but......it is my quilt and I'll do it my way. I cut my binding 2¼ inches
sew it on the front side of quilt ¼ inch seam allowance doing both right and left sides. I turn them to the back and hand stitch them down. I then do the same for the top and bottom. I do not miter the corners. I fold the raw edges in and hand stitch on the back side again. Find a way that works for you.:)

I don't miter corners either. Bind the sides, then the top and bottom. Done.

ritaquilts 07-15-2011 09:22 AM

You mentioned that your 1/4" seam wasn't that great to start so my reccomendation is to get a 1/4"foot for your machine that will automatically give you the right size. It takes away so much stress and gives you the accuracy you need.
As far as binding, you have had several great rccomendations so all I can say there is practice. Try just making something small to practice on, even just a sandwich of scrap material and batting and practice, practice, practice.