Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of "quarters" do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-quarters-do-you-prefer-t188436.html)

chairjogger 05-08-2012 09:01 PM

I collect fat quarter squares like kids collect ball cards. Ha ha..But, if doing a strip quilt, then prefer the 9 inch , quarter yard. As my 5 year old Grandson says, "That doesn't make sense."

burchquilts 05-08-2012 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b (Post 5203505)
I don't think I will be much help but...I have to say it depends what the project is - I have a couple quilts in mind that need the linear quarters- but most of them call for fat quarters. If I am just buying to have on hand I buy the fat quarters ... Told you I wouldn't be much help , sorry :(

Same here. I like FQs LOTS but sometimes I also want to cut (for example) a 2.5" X width strip also & that doesn't work with a FQ. I really like half yards the best... then I can cut a FQ & the other (which is also a FQ) I can use for something else.

sandy l 05-09-2012 03:28 AM

I sort of go back and forth between the two, but lately I find I'm starting to buy 1/2 or full yds.

happyquiltmom 05-09-2012 03:37 AM

Fat quarters are more convenient because they are precut and you don't have to wait to get your fabric cut. They are like candy, easy to grab a handful on impulse. However, you do pay for that convenience...they are marked up slightly compared to fabric off the bolt.

Some patterns require fabric cut the width of fabric, in which case you need regular 9x44 cuts. I usually buy at least 1/2 yd or more. If it is an especially beautiful fabric that I absolutely love, I have to have at least 3 yards.

KR 05-09-2012 04:30 AM

Have not seen linear quarters but I'm sure they would be handy depending on the project.

momto5 05-09-2012 06:58 AM

The monetary quarters...then I can buy the kind of quarters I want/need at the time!

Momyar 05-09-2012 08:02 AM

I mainly use Cheaper by the 1/2 Dozen quilt pattern that calls for fat quarters. But if I'm buying fabric from the bolt from Joann's or some place that doesn't sell fat quarters I want linear quarters. I had been buying 1/2 yards from Joann's but decided I it was so much better to buy 1/4 yards.

Lori S 05-09-2012 08:26 AM

I like the 9 X WOF best. It seems like I have more waste working with regular fat 1/4s . But there are so many patterns geared toward the traditional fat 1/4's .

TexasGurl 05-09-2012 08:45 AM

FQs are my fav ... IF they're cut right !
I don't buy as many as I used to, buy 1/2 yds more now ... can't stand to run short of a fabric !

jcrow 05-09-2012 09:29 AM

I buy fat quarters all the time but I really like to buy more. I like half yards and yards of fabric. I have so many fat quarters but I don't really use them. I could make some fun quilts with them if I ever got around to it. I have a lot of fat quarter books.