Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of quilter are you? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-quilter-you-t65186.html)

amma 09-17-2010 08:09 AM

I am so happy to hear that you have found a quilting method that makes you happy :D:D:D

bigsister63 09-17-2010 08:22 AM

I do both SID and FMQ. I use SID to anchor my top down and then do FMQ in larger squares and borders. PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! and then press the pedal to the metal go for it. TRy FMQ on small projects and then graduate to larger. I find that FMQ is really quicker and easier after you get the hang of it especially if you meander. Just remenber to keep the quilting distance recommended by the batting manufacturer. This is also true if you SID . Good luck and Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!

Melinda in Tulsa 09-17-2010 08:23 AM

This is how I practice my FMQ. Maybe it will work for you. I've made up a bunch of candlemats, and just FMQ on them. If they turn out badly, no big deal. I also took a class with Christopher Nejman one time, (he is not a quilter, but is a great teacher). Instead of taking a death grip <grin> on the fabric, take the 2 botom corners in your index finger and thumb and just gently guide. Since you aren't using a large piece, it makes it so much easier to practice on. As you gain more confidence, start moving up in size.

BTW, there has been several times I have forgotten to lower my feed dogs and it still turns out great. I'm to the point now, I'm keeping my stitches consistant. I hope this helps you out. It works for me.

raptureready 09-17-2010 08:26 AM

To be honest: Non-prolific. I love to piece and even have a frame and quilting machine (not an LA) but I have around 30 Ladies-In-Waiting just sitting and waiting to be quilted.

MadQuilter 09-17-2010 08:35 AM

I signed up for a series of quilting-specific classes at my local dealer. The first one starts next week. So far, I have done OK with SID on my own but that is where the honeymoon ends. Figured that I have too much invested in my machines to not at least give it a shot.

If it tenses you up (which is the worst thing to do when quilting) then no wonder that you don't enjoy it. I wonder: Do you not do well because you tense up, or do you set yourself up by tensing before you even start?

Do you have an LQS in the area or somewhere that teaches machine quilting on the home sewing machine from start to finish?

BRenea 09-17-2010 08:53 AM

I'm a little-bit-of-everything quilter! I really like to do FMQ, but sometimes a quilt calls for SID or straight-line designs like grids. I don't think any one method is better than the other, it just depends on the project and the look you are going for.

quilter41 09-17-2010 08:53 AM

Glad to see that I am not the Lone Ranger. I have taken three Free Motion Classes and it just isn't for me. I even have a PC Quilter that I have never set up. This AM I did a Mini Quilt with Straight Line Quilting and I think it looks great. Just wish curves were easier. Is ther a place where I can see Straight Line Quilting Designs. I would be interested in seeing others work.

Maggiemay 09-17-2010 09:22 AM

I also do a lot of straight line quilting & SID. I had only done FMQ on smaller projects until I got my Janome 1600. I have been playing around with more quilting styles & am coming along with practice. I have always liked piecing more than quilting & straight line quilting suits a lot of my quilts just fine.

Surfergirl 09-17-2010 10:10 AM

So far, it's SID for me.

freezeframe03 09-17-2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I signed up for a series of quilting-specific classes at my local dealer. The first one starts next week. So far, I have done OK with SID on my own but that is where the honeymoon ends. Figured that I have too much invested in my machines to not at least give it a shot.

If it tenses you up (which is the worst thing to do when quilting) then no wonder that you don't enjoy it. I wonder: Do you not do well because you tense up, or do you set yourself up by tensing before you even start?

Do you have an LQS in the area or somewhere that teaches machine quilting on the home sewing machine from start to finish?

I do just fine on small manageable pieces...it's the large pieces that I do not enjoy working with. But I don't even do free motion on smaller pieces, I simply do not enjoy the process.