Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of starch do you use? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-starch-do-you-use-t24249.html)

tlrnhi 08-16-2009 03:35 AM

I only use Niagra.
Should make my own, but too lazy. lol

LindaR 08-16-2009 05:10 AM

I use the quilters starch from Mary Ellen Best Press, I always starch a block when I'm done with it. Gives such a crisp look

CajunQuilter2 08-16-2009 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I use the quilters starch from Mary Ellen Best Press, I always starch a block when I'm done with it. Gives such a crisp look

Same here, altho it can be a bit pricey I only use it for my quilting material. Love it!!

Teacup 08-16-2009 05:29 AM

I'd like more informaiton about this also. For regular clothes ironing I really like to use sizing. And in the past I sometimes used sizing on sewing fabrics that I couldn't get the wrinkles out of after shrinking -- worked great and crisped things up. I had read a long time ago that you should never use starch for quilting as it will eventually draw bugs to your project. Then I heard somewhere else not to add spray sizing, because this is like the finish fabric manufacturers use and you want to wash it out. When I was working on my doll quilt, Kwhite kindly gave me a link to Sharon Schamber's online directions for putting on a binding. And of course she uses starch extensively as well as Elmer's School Glue . And it does wash out. I used both on the doll quilt. It washed out fine.

When I read this information about keeping a homemade starch mix in the refrigerator, that seems to suggest that it could go bad, and again drawing bugs might be an issue. And Klue, you make art quilts. Does using starch on projects you never wash affect them?

mommaB 08-16-2009 05:31 AM

I love starch!! Usually Niagra for clothes, sometimes whatever I can find, I know what I have at the board right now is not. I have used the Best Press at the LQS when I'm in a class, I like it alot, but haven't gotten any for home yet. I use regular strength for quilting and my clothes. My son uses heavy duty for his shirts (yes, I created a monster, but at least he does his own!!) I use the heavy duty for my lab coats. Oooo, I love that crisp even crinkley feel and sound and smell of starch :D :D Yeah, I'm weird that way..who cares? :lol: :lol:

mamaw 08-16-2009 06:28 AM

I use Niagara for clothes; but Best Press for quilting.
Here is a description of the product:
Make ironing as pleasant as possible! No more mixing starch with water or environmentally-unfriendly aerosol cans that get clogged. 'Best Press The Clear Starch Alternative' is a clear and fragrant miracle starch that doesn't clog, flake, or leave a residue - even on dark fabrics. Also relaxes stubborn wrinkles, makes ironing easier, and makes fabrics soil-resistant. The clear, non-aerosol spray bottle lets you see how much is left.
Best Press' is a trademark of Mary Ellen Products, Inc.

Ducky 08-16-2009 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by CajunQuilter2

Originally Posted by LindaR

Same here, altho it can be a bit pricey I only use it for my quilting material. Love it!!

Yup. I use Mary Ellen's, too, but only on my quilting.

Does the homemade starch ever leave a residue?

kwhite 08-16-2009 06:50 AM

Sounds like best press is a good product if it works like promised. I have alway to clean a horrible mess off of my iron. Not having to do that would be a dream.

peaceandjoy 08-16-2009 06:52 AM

I have used Sta-Flo that I mixed; it worked okay. I only used it b/c I had it from making silly putty w/ kids.

My preference is Mary Ellen's. I LOVE the Citrus and the Carribean Beach scents. Rose, lavendar, cherry blossom and unscented are also available. LQS quite often has a 16 oz spray bottle for about $8. I bought one, and since then have gotten the gallon refills. I find them online for about $40 - with shipping, it was close to $50! :oops: Or get two from another place when I am ordering from someplace else that is a little more but offers free shipping w/ $100 purchase.

In addition to regular pressing and the crisp look, it gets out even the fold-lines from fabric that is off the bolt. You only need a light mist, not a soaking spray. So even though it's pricey, it does last quite a while. And I enjoy the scent while ironing - anything I can do to make pressing a less awful task...

kwhite 08-16-2009 07:03 AM

Thanks I will have to try that. Does Joann's have it? 40% off coupons are great.