Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What kind of thread do I have? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-kind-thread-do-i-have-t284686.html)

PatriciaPf 12-23-2016 01:41 PM

What kind of thread do I have?

I have a really big cone of cream colored thread that I bought as "quilting thread". I was too naive to ask if it is for hand- or machine-quilting. It is beautiful, not very fine, and I actually used it in my machine a little, but now I am not sure if I should have. Is there a way to determine what type of thread this is? I don't hand-quilt, but I don't want to waste it. If it is for hand quilting, do I have to clean up my tension discs?

meyert 12-23-2016 02:09 PM

I will be watching this thread - I have a big cone of thread that I picked up at a yard sale that I wonder exactly what it is :)

Onebyone 12-23-2016 02:22 PM

If it is labeled quilting thread then it is okay for the machine. If for hand quilting only it will be labeled for hand quilting. Most hand quilting thread will have a glaze on it making it stiffer then regular thread. If the label says quilting for machine or by hand then there is no glaze on it.

PaperPrincess 12-23-2016 02:59 PM

if there is no label and you are trying to determine the fiber content, wrap it several times around your fingers to get a small hank. Use tongs and work over the sink with a small bowl of water. Light it with a match, then extinguish. Poly or poly blend will melt leaving a hard bead or bump. Cotton will just produce ash.
Also, if you are not sure of how old it is, make sure you do a break test.

ILoveToQuilt 12-23-2016 04:14 PM

Quite a few of the larger cones of thread were/are for use with sergers or industrial sewing machines. Try the burn test as noted above.

I've had good luck using these larger cones on both my Janome machines - I just have to use a thread stand to hold the cone.

quiltingshorttimer 12-23-2016 08:57 PM

some cones have a label inside the cone(bottom).

Bree123 12-23-2016 09:15 PM

I agree with the burn test suggested above. Of course, the other thing to consider is that sometimes even "quilting thread" can vary significantly in quality & it does cotton thread does go bad eventually with age. I had a few of those threads that I bought when I first started quilting. I was so proud of myself for buying "mercerized cotton" -- little did I know that was code for "low-quality thread that is made with short-staple fibers so the only thing we can brag about on the label is that it's mercerized". I donated 3 spools to my guild auction. A few people bid on it to use for basting their quilts so it didn't go to waste. Personally, I prefer brightly colored poly thread for basting, so I was glad that those spools of cotton thread could help benefit our guild fund.

lindaschipper 12-25-2016 04:27 AM

I too have a super large spool of thread on a wooden cone, purchased from the local DAV....it's the strongest thread I've ever come across. Perhaps was used in an industry. I haven't used it on my machine, but if I need to hand gather something it's my go to spool.

popover 12-25-2016 06:08 AM

I have one of those odd cones too, originally used for topstitching khaki pants, so its a bit heavy.

Pennyhal 12-25-2016 11:08 AM

When you do the burn test, if you get both hard beads and ashes, you have a poly/cotton blend. You can also put a bit into bleach. If it disolves, it's wool.