Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What long arm do you own? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-long-arm-do-you-own-t69906.html)

brushandthimble 10-14-2010 03:14 AM

I'm with you, I detested layering and pining. The time it takes to pin to leaders is more than worth it, when it takes half the time to quilt it on the frame than through the DM.

Originally Posted by feline fanatic

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was thinking of buying a LA until a friend let me go from start to finish using hers. Loading the quilt on the frame was tedious and took too much time. .

Really? This surprises me. The first quilt I ever loaded on mine took a little over an hour and this is only because I loaded it wrong on the take up bar. I find loading a quilt on a LA rack much easier and quicker then sandwiching and basting (either with safety pins or needle and thread) on the floor or on a table. Granted sandwiching and basting were the things I hated most about quilting. Literally, I hate that step so much it was totally worth it to get a LA and rack just to avoid that step! Oh of course that isn't the only reason I got one but loading a quilt on is very quick and easy and I don't have zippered leaders, I do it with pins.

I also have an Innova and love it.

quilt3311 10-14-2010 03:34 AM

HQ-16 Mine is a sit down model as I can't stand for long periods of time. Love it.

hcarpanini 10-14-2010 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by MamaHen
My suggestions are to try before you buy! Decide if you want one just for yourself, or do you plan to make a business out of it. For oneself, I think a smaller mid size like the HQ 16 or the Avante, Babylock Jewel, or others are best for the home user. The price are fair. If you want to go into the business of doing others, a larger one would probably be in order. Mostly it all depends on what suits you, what you like and how much you want to spend. I have the HQ Avante, glad I got it. It is easy for one to learn to use and serves the home quilter just fine. If I decided to upgrade to a larger one, it would be the HQ Fusion or an A-1.

I have been in businees for 6 years, started with the HQ16 and recently upgraded to the HQ Fusion. No regrets here!!!

dgmoby 10-14-2010 03:57 AM

I love my HQ. I haven't read all the suggestions, so hope I'm not repeating. I do consider these items to be important. Having said that, here are my suggestions:

1. Look for a frame with 4 poles. This way, you're not constantly having to raise the back pole to accommodate a growing quilted quilt. I'm so glad I did this - and flat out refused any other type of frame. I'd already been there and done that! Frames do matter - a bunch!

2. Look at the maintenance requirements. Some require daily, weekly, semi-weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual types of cleaning routines! Whew! When do you get to quilt??? I love the HQ because I only have to add 1 drop of oil in the bobbin every other bobbin change. It's self-lubricating (or 'non-lubricating' whatever they call that)!

3. Make sure the machine doesn't LEAK oil. Many do, and ruin quilts if you forget to move it off to the side - and this also takes up quilting space on your frame so that you have to quilt smaller quilts. I like the no-oil required maintains, except for a drop on the bobbins, for this reason also.

4. Keep in mind, sometimes you get what you pay for. And also define your needs up front: business vs. self only quilting. That will make a difference. Many, many people run businesses with 16-18" machines just fine...but a 12" I wouldn't even consider...personally :)

5. Look for excellent company support with toll-free numbers and numerous supporting staff. You never want to purchase from a company that doesn't have adequate support.

6. Go to the machines Yahoo Group (they all have them) and join the groups that you are considering purchasing. You will learn all the good, the bad and the ugly. (Keep in mind, that no one will post how much they love their machines - but you'll certainly hear multitudes of complaints! Some earned, some 'user education' issues, as you'll learn!)

7. Be prepared to spend a lot of time learning the machine, all about tensions, threads, and quilting. It doesn't happen overnight, and it matters. The supplies to learn these (DVS's, books, rulers, classes, etc.) even at home, are costly. Just be prepared :)

8. Have a great time! Practice on sheets from goodwill, and when it's full, add a new top one and continue on. It'll get boring, but you'll get good. I've seen many quilters begin and they're not very good...it takes a lot of practice. Not enough practice means you'll won't get good - can't blame the machine for that :)

9. Buy the largest setup you can for your budget. Otherwise you might end up regretting it, trading it in, and loosing money in the long run. Look for the 'freebie's' that are included, as sometimes they're costly.

10. Right nows an excellant time to buy a good used machines. Lots are being sold due to budget requirements or upgrading...and the prices are down.

11. Don't underestimate the space required. It's alot! (more than my kid! LOL!)

Hope these things help you when shopping. Just a few things I kept in mind, regardless of budget, and I'm so grateful I did. They helped me to make a very smart decision. :)

Debbie in Austin

dgmoby 10-14-2010 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by quilt3311
HQ-16 Mine is a sit down model as I can't stand for long periods of time. Love it.

I can't either, but mine is standup setup. I just use a drafting chair and it works well for me. I can get up and down.

Debbie in Austin

dgmoby 10-14-2010 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I was thinking of buying a LA until a friend let me go from start to finish using hers. Loading the quilt on the frame was tedious and took too much time. I know me and the thought of loading the quilt, the quilt would be on the shelf like they are now waiting to be quilted. All the details before actually getting to quilt made it not fun at all. I'll stick to machine quilting on my home machine after my friend machine bastes them for $20 each.

Like anything, the loading of a quilt is tedious the first time. Once you get the hang of it, it doesn't take that long to do it.

And if you use velcro leaders and baste on with the longarm, it only takes about 5-7 minutes :)

I posted utube videos of the basting on process I use, (and ripping or 'Skinning a Quilt' as I call it) if you're interested.

Debbie in Austin

ruthruff3 10-14-2010 04:09 AM

I have a Nolting 24" and use it for my business. I run it several hours a day and have been using it about 5 years. I replaced the motor earlier this year and have had basic maintance on it. I am very happy with the machine. I agree with the others - loading gets quicker with practice and that quilting takes time to learn. I think some people get frustrated because they don't do it enough to feel like they become really 'good' at it - it just takes time.

dgmoby 10-14-2010 04:09 AM

Oh, I forgot to add in:

Look for ALL the major controls to be on the handles and easily used while quilting. That having to reach up and change something mid-stitch is for the birds :) You'd have to stop, reach up and change, then restart = pain in the toochie, to me :)

But some things, like the items you set once per quilt, are fine to adjust elsewhere, but the items you need mid-stitch should be at your fingertips. Like on the handles. The start/stop, needle up/down, stitch regulator speeds, single stitch, manual slow to fast speed setting, etc. all need to be at your fingertips and available on the handles...in my opinion.

Debbie in Austin

quilter1 10-14-2010 04:10 AM

I have had my Tin lizzie 18LS for a year now, and I do not regret one minute of it. My DH gave up his office to accomodate the 10' frame. There is definitely a learning curve to long arm quilting, and I am still on that curve, but the ride is sure fun! I chose the Tin Lizzie because it gave me a high quality machine for an affordable (almost) cost. The TL company makes several machines sold under different names, so I thought I would be better to buy from the manufacturer. I do not have a computer attachment but the stitch regulator is great. Check out different setups before buying, then have a great time quilting. I am still amazed that I can finish a quilt in a few hours and have it look really good!

finch 10-14-2010 04:11 AM

I just wish I had one!