Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is this machine, and is it appropriate for quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-appropriate-quilting-t213398.html)

callen 02-11-2013 11:53 AM

Wow, what a fantastic table !!! I want one - can we put in our orders???? LOL

margecam52 02-11-2013 12:32 PM

It has a built in walking foot and feed dogs...for Stitch in the ditch and straight lines..would work well, especially with that huge table (and yes, I want a table like that!). I used to do reupholstery...and had a larger (18" throat) machine like this one...they move FAST!..very fast...even over and through fingers, fingernails and bone...oh, yeah they will.

For freehand stitching (feathers, curls, etc.), not so great...unless there is a way to put the feed dogs down, and put a foot on there that will let you do free motion. There is a spring looking foot (it looks just like the spring on the tension adjustment...a cone shaped spring) that you can get to help protect your fingers...old school...but maybe an industrial machine shop has some...folks do quilt sofa fabrics on these.
One other attachment you can probably get for this...a binding attachment..to attach bias binding...now that could be a time saver!

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5849986)
I'm still debating on the logistics of quilting my first quilt, and haven't decided yet if I really want to send it out. I really want to be able to do it start-to-finish on my own (I think).

My DH has this machine. He bought it from a local commercial seamstress, and it doesn't seem to have any details on it. Is it the type of machine that could do something like a quilt, or is it more for 'heavy duty' sewing? (It was used mostly for heavy commercial fabrics like vinyl and canvas, which is what he'll be using it for). Maybe it's not something I can use? Oh, by the way, do you not LOVE the new table he just built?! I'm totally jealous.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394165[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394166[/ATTACH]

margecam52 02-11-2013 12:33 PM

Looks like a Tacsew or Juki maybe...both make industrial grade machines.

Judi in Ohio 02-11-2013 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5849986)
I'm still debating on the logistics of quilting my first quilt, and haven't decided yet if I really want to send it out. I really want to be able to do it start-to-finish on my own (I think).

My DH has this machine. He bought it from a local commercial seamstress, and it doesn't seem to have any details on it. Is it the type of machine that could do something like a quilt, or is it more for 'heavy duty' sewing? (It was used mostly for heavy commercial fabrics like vinyl and canvas, which is what he'll be using it for). Maybe it's not something I can use? Oh, by the way, do you not LOVE the new table he just built?! I'm totally jealous.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]394165[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]394166[/ATTACH]

I think this is just a commercial machine - can't see the badge so don't know the name. Many people use these as quilting machines. It is really fast, you'll have to get used to it, but it will be worth it I think. Find out the brand and call them. I bet you can adjust them if need be.

margecam52 02-11-2013 12:47 PM

It was set up for drapery...so with a 40wt thread...even a 35wt, both top and bobbin, and a size 16 or 18 needle (probably has a 21 or 22 in it with Nylon thread, prob 25 or 30wt)...I'd test it out and try it. Remember though it's probably 10-20 times faster than a home machine...as fast as you say "zip" 2 feet of seam is sewn......takes practice...but you can do it.

I sewed a "boot" that was made of twenty-two 7" circles, with a 3-1/2" diameter hole in the centers on mine. They ended looking like an accordian...so they would spring back and forth along with the hydrolic shaft of some very large machines. You can sew circles if very careful...but not freehand...you could mark the quilt with large designs and follow those lines...I would not hesitate to try it. That walking foot may be a blessing on quilts.

Also...that big table...very helpful when doing tuck n roll upholstery, stitching diamond tuck, and would be great support for quilts. I used to make the tuck n roll a lot, even for furniture fabrics (velvets)...called those channels though..too wide to be tuck n roll. Does your hubby do auto restorations?

The two memory quilts I'm working on are from a classic car restorer's clothes...paint spots desired, lol. I just embroidered a dragonfly on some very heavy auto leather for these quilts...came out very nicely on my 12 needle machine.

Originally Posted by Teeler (Post 5850621)
Boat interiors/seats/upholstery...canvas work like pop up campers...furniture cushions...

sandyquilts 02-11-2013 01:22 PM

Commercial machine

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5850202)
I believe you can get a modified foot peddle that better controls the speed on the commercial machines

If it is a commercial machine, it has only one stitch type. Since your husband will use it, I assume it sews a straight stitch. It also sews so incredibly fast, check it to see if you can use it comfortably. Certainly, the needle will have to be changed to one for your use.
SandyQuilter (I am not sandyquilts)

Lynette-Merlin 02-11-2013 01:46 PM

I have a machine like that - not as smart and I sure could have used that table. I used it for making loose covers when I had a business making curtains, covers, etc. I still keep it though I don't use it very often and althought I did quilt a quilt on it for a client, I would not recommend it! I should say that it is what we in England would call 'an industrial'.

sulyle 02-11-2013 10:41 PM

I don't recognize the machine but that is a great table for quilting. Wish I had one like it.

Betty Ruth 02-12-2013 06:14 PM

Love that table. Wish I had room for one like it. Since the garage was converted to living space even before we bought the house, there is no room for such a wonderfully large table.

GrannieAnnie 02-12-2013 06:44 PM

I can't imagine why you couldn't do whatever sewing you wanted---------as long as you can find needles the size you need.