Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What machine to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-buy-t195006.html)

Chris Penna 07-18-2012 07:32 AM

What machine to buy?

I have a Janome MC 6600 and I am going to buy a 2nd machine. I do a lot of free motion embroidery and thread painting and if I want to just sew regular stitches, I have to change everything...................I don't have a lot of big blocks of time to spend at my machine and I hate wasting what time I have, setting up the machine for different sewing.

I want one machine to be set up for free motion work, 24/7, and the other machine for regular sewing.

So I'm down to either a Horizon 7700 or a MC6300!

Theres a pretty big price difference between the two and I know the one I already own (6600) is a great machine, so I kind of feel guilty even considering the 7700 but this would be my only chance to own one. I'm just wondering if the machine is worth the money................................

Thanks!

mittskitt 07-18-2012 07:50 AM

You might want to consider a straight stitch only machine. I have a regular machine (Juki f600) and a Janome 1600p. The SS only machines free motion really well, are more powerful......but very easy to control. If you get a chance, you might want to try one.

Prism99 07-18-2012 08:31 AM

I was going to suggest a Juki TL2010Q. This is a straight-stitch only machine that does 1500 stitches per minute and has a harp size of, I think, 9". It is loved by many for FMQ, and can also be used for fast piecing. I think this would be considerably less $$$ than the machines you are looking at. If you have ever considered quilting on a frame, then you might want to get the Juki and a Hinterberg stretch frame. Later on, if you ever upgrade to a longarm for the frame, you could use the Juki for piecing. Just a thought......

Dolphyngyrl 07-18-2012 09:08 PM

Me personally if you own the 6600 I wouldn't waste the money for the 7700 when you have most of the features already. I would as the others have said get a straight stitch only machine for FMQ and use the 6600 for your regular sewing. its a cheaper option and as the others have said they are more powerful.

nabobw 07-19-2012 04:35 AM

The 7700 is worth the money. Love mine

Chris Penna 07-19-2012 12:12 PM

Thanks for all the input................i bit the bullet and bought the 7700.....only because that is the machine I originally wanted and bought the 6600 instead. I know that this would be the only time I could buy the 7700 and the dealer gave me a great price on the one he had that he took to shows for demo's. He also threw in the table and gave me a refund on some expensive extras I had purchased for the 6600 that came with the 7700. I played with it all last night, and it does have most of the same features but in other ways, I think its better. I love it!