Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What machine for class? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-class-t51735.html)

sewgirl 06-28-2010 05:45 AM

This questions has porbably been asked before, but here goes. My home machine is toooo heavy for transporting to and from classes, and a Featherweight Singer is not in my price range at this time. So, what lightweight machine do you recommend. Thanks for all your help, this group is awsome!

Cyndee in NC

raptureready 06-28-2010 05:50 AM

I've bought some great lightweight machines off Craigslist--an old New Home, a Brother ce4000. The Brother is usually what I take to class. Walmart sells them for around $200, I bought mine for $60. You can also check with your local sewing machine dealers for trade-ins like a Janome Gem or Magnolia. It depends on what you want to do in class, obviously if you're taking machine embroidery classes these aren't going to work. If all you want is a regular machine there's as many opinions as there are people on board. I hope this helps. Some will say to get the really small ones. I don't care for those personally. Most reputable dealers will let you try out machines, our Hancocks even will.

Marlys 06-28-2010 06:14 AM

I had the same problem. I bought a Brother from Costco for about $170. It is only 8 pounds and so easy to take to classes or guild! The only complaint I have is because it is so light, if you get going too fast it will sometimes "shimmy" a bit. I carry some rubber shelf liner with me when I take it and that helps a lot.

Pam 06-28-2010 08:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought this one to take to class, lots cheaper than a featherweight, but still old and cute. It is heavy though, but darling, I had to have one for classes.

quiltinghere 06-28-2010 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by Pam
I just bought this one to take to class, lots cheaper than a featherweight, but still old and cute. It is heavy though, but darling, I had to have one for classes.

That ELNA looks like you could drive a bus through the throat area! HUGE!...or is it just the picture?

Pam 06-28-2010 09:06 AM

The machine is tiny, Elna's asnwer to a Featherweight. It is about 13" long and 9 or so tall. The carrying case surrounds the throat and makes a sewing table for it, ingenious! This one is straight stitch only (made in 1950) the older ones take cams and have decorative stitches.

Also, there is no foot pedal, it operates with a knee lever.

littlehud 06-28-2010 09:22 AM

It is so cute. Lots of machine in a little package.

franie 06-28-2010 09:24 AM

I use a FW but I recommend a Janome Gem or something similar.

Jeanniejo 06-28-2010 09:28 AM

I bought a Janome Gem at Hancock Fabrics when it was on sale for $70.00. It's light and sews like a dream. It fits in a 14X16 tote bag even with the cord and foot peddle.

sewgirl 06-29-2010 05:23 AM

Thank you group. You've helped me narrow down the sea of protable sewing machines.

Cyndee in NC