Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Machine should i buy!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-machine-should-i-buy-t310360.html)

rjwilder 04-02-2020 04:41 AM

Think of what you would do most, quilting, embroidery or sewing. I've done all three and have owned several machines from 10 needle embroidery, mid arm quilting and embroidery/sewing combo and just straight sewing machine. I found you can only embroider so many things, quilting in the hoop turned into a bigger more time consuming adventure than I expected. I didn't like having to constantly rehoop and line it all up again and again, very time consuming. Long story short I purchased a mid arm with frame and a sewing/embroidery machine combo as well as a small machine to take to sewing days at church. I like the Grace frame and Qnique Machines, they have several options available for frame and machines in all price ranges. If you purchase a frame and machine make sure the stitch regulator comes with it. I only do free motion, nothing fancy so no computer needed. Go to grace frame.com to see them.

Rff1010 04-03-2020 12:04 AM

For what its worth- I decided to upgrade about 8 months ago. After lots of head scratching and waffling, I decided to go with a better quality used machine than a new. It meant I had to wait for "the right machine". But I have a Janine Memory Craft and I love it. I did get from a dealer so the machine was serviced.
Good luck with your decision.

dms 04-03-2020 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by undecided (Post 8373285)
i have a sort of conundrum, and am completely torn. The machine i was using for quilting is no longer available. So i am looking to buy a machine. From here it gets...fuzzy. I have a machine with 11" on throat space...so decent...it does embroider and fancy stitches. It is really very good, but not superb as say the luminaire....which i am wondering if i should take a loan for a sewing machine?! I want to...it looks like this machine does it all with pizzazz!! It is supposed to be amazing for in the hoop quilting!!! With hoops that do that well and are large enough to make sense! It has a camera for perfect alignment. It can also some of its own digitizing utilizing the camera to make designs !!! Amazing! I am sure it can do the fmq as well as any domestic machine. ! It has 13.1" harp space!!!! Wowsers....sounds a dream...and a fortune. If i am going to spend that much ( and it is hard to determine how much that is. Please pm if you are willing to share what kind of deals i should be looking for cost-wise) as a dealer said i should consider single purpose machines as well....i really love embroidery and i really love quilting...so i could pick one and do it well, i could get a 10 needle emboidery and continue to sew and quilt on the other machine...i can make it work.....or i can look for a reasonably priced longarm on a super deal sort of thing...and get a !!!! I am giddy with the thought of the machines, they all seem so wonderful...i think that the one the most 'different' than i have is the frame long arm---i really have a hard time with the quilting....but i am not sure, i think i will ultimately spend more actual stitch time on one of the others. I am sooo conflicted...i really want a goal!!! I just don't know which direction to go. Please share your perspective with me. (i cannot afford all 3, though i would it)

ok. I can't say what will be the best for you, but i can tell you what i have and love. I have a viking diamond deluxe that i do all my embroidery on and anything that needs more than a straight stitch. For quilting, free motion work and anything else that is a straight stitch i have a juki 2010. I just love my set up. I can sew on my juki when i am embroidering. I also have a babylock imagine cause i also do garment sewing. Hope that helps you in your dilema.
God bless. I also pray about making a good decision.

undecided 04-03-2020 09:51 PM

wow... so much good info. i love the new features of the luminair but ultimately its just too much... plus i am already invested in bernina accessories, so i am trying to decide between the 790+ or a Q20 sit down---i just cannot swing the longarm costs....and the are running some promos...but still cannot decided...i decided against emb. only for now...but i want the other 2 lol!!! not sure what i am going to do....my poor brain...i might go by coin toss LOL!

mkc 04-04-2020 03:35 PM

Slow down and put some thought into how you would use the machine. You mentioned the one you used to quilt on no longer being available. So, are you looking for a machine to piece your quilts or to do the quilting? Why are you looking at embroidery? What are your current needs? What are your "must haves"?

It's easy to get caught up in "latest, greatest, cool features", but in reality you are best served by understanding your needs first, then finding the machine or machines that meet(s) those exact needs. And always test drive before a large purchase like this. Multiple models and brands if that's what your considering. It's no different than buying a car. You wouldn't buy that without at least experiencing the make and model in person to make sure it fit your needs and you were comfortable operating it.