Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-made-you-decide-go-quilting-dsm-mid-long-arm-t243951.html)

sandrab64 03-26-2014 07:54 AM

What made you decide to go from quilting on DSM to mid/long arm?

I've been quilting a large lap quilt (68x77) on my DSM lately and it's been difficult. Doable?--sure. Easy?--not really. I keep looking at the sit downs (mainly HQ Sweet Sixteen) thinking it would be really nice to have a larger area to quilt with. I don't have the room for a long arm. I keep thinking I should just suck it up and continue with my DSM but there are days I sure wish I had something bigger. I have a Bernina Aurora 450 so spent considerable money on that several years ago so having a hard time justifying another big purchase when I still could do it on my Bernina. I'm getting tired of my aching arms/shoulders/neck from shoving a large quilt through a small harp. I've watched the Craftsy video of "Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines" and don't have any desire to do QAYG.

So my question: What were you doing when you finally said "enough is enough" and broke down and got yourself a nice present?

tessagin 03-26-2014 07:58 AM

I DSM and have handquilted. Not as much as you probably have. Have not really done anything larger than a lap. Maybe adjusting your chair would help. Most times it is totally up to the quilter and no one else.

AnnieSue 03-26-2014 07:59 AM

I decided the minute I realized sit down machines existed. I knew I couldn't operate/afford/have room for a long arm, but my DSM was holding me back. My HQ Sweet Sixteen and I are very happy.

ScubaK 03-26-2014 08:08 AM

I found a frame on Craigslist that was affordable and able to use the shortarm machine. It is limited but it is nicer than wrecking a quilt on my DSM.
I can do small pantos and meandering, stippling.
It works for me.
Kirsten

cindi 03-26-2014 08:14 AM

My decision was made for me when I won my Hinterberg frame and a cash prize (along with about a dozen other quilt-related prizes) through an AQS online quilt contest several years ago. I used the cash to help pay for the Voyager, and it was the best and most useful prize I ever won! I've not looked back :)

Milli 03-26-2014 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by sandrab64 (Post 6645756)
I've been quilting a large lap quilt (68x77) on my DSM lately and it's been difficult. Doable?--sure. Easy?--not really. I keep looking at the sit downs (mainly HQ Sweet Sixteen) thinking it would be really nice to have a larger area to quilt with. I don't have the room for a long arm. I keep thinking I should just suck it up and continue with my DSM but there are days I sure wish I had something bigger. I have a Bernina Aurora 450 so spent considerable money on that several years ago so having a hard time justifying another big purchase when I still could do it on my Bernina. I'm getting tired of my aching arms/shoulders/neck from shoving a large quilt through a small harp. I've watched the Craftsy video of "Quilting Big Quilts on Small Machines" and don't have any desire to do QAYG.

So my question: What were you doing when you finally said "enough is enough" and broke down and got yourself a nice present?

My husband decided for me.

Jennie and Me 03-26-2014 08:21 AM

I wanted to finish the whole quilt myself instead of sending it out to be quilted and I just couldn't do it on my DSM. Now, almost 10 years later, I keep telling myself that I need to learn on my DSM so that I can quilt small pieces. I just need to go for it.

ManiacQuilter2 03-26-2014 08:26 AM

I STILL quilt on my Bernina 1530. I have the correct support to my left and support behind the machine. I just don't see how anybody can quilt anything large such as a queen on one of those small tables. It you have the correct support, quilting is a breeze on a DSM.

mandyrose 03-26-2014 08:27 AM

I know the feeling Sandra I been trying to save up for an hq16 but always something comes up just spent $2000.00 on my car couple weeks ago which was a good thing my car is running like new, but now I need to start from scratch saving again. I really don't want to make payments

DebraK 03-26-2014 08:39 AM

It always made more sense to me to guide the needle over the quilt, rather than guide the quilt under the needle. The path of least resistance. My chance came when I ran across a used longarm being sold at a LQS that was going out of business. DH convinced me to go for it. Encouragement at the right place and the right time. No regrets.