Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What made you decide to start quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-made-you-decide-start-quilting-t52458.html)

Laura1557 07-02-2010 10:41 AM

I've always loved the look of quilts and been fascinated by the traditions involved in the way they used to be made. So much work and so intricate to hand-sew but the finished product is so beautiful!

As a teen, I used to do a lot of crafts - cross-stitch, knitting, crochet, plastic canvas, and I thought it'd be neat to make a quilt, but I can't cut accurately with scissors, and really, I didn't know how to go about it. So it wound up on the back burner although I did make a small tied coverlet for my bed.

Recently, a friend posted pics of her hand-quilting on another online (non-quilting) forum and I give her the credit for reigniting my spark of quilting-related creativity. It wasn't long before I signed up for lessons (of which I've had two of the six already) and the more I do, the more I find I enjoy it. It's not a bad hobby to get sucked into!

Sadiemae 07-02-2010 10:47 AM

My mother made all of my clothes, including my wedding dress. Then she fell in love with quilting. After she made me 3 quilts, I became interested in quilting. I took a beginning class and the rest is history. I miss my mom so much. Each quilt I make brings memories of her.

QBeth 07-02-2010 10:51 AM

About 25 years ago, I must have seen someone's quilt which ended up piquing my curiousity about one new craft to try (like you, I've done lots of things in the past). So, I went to a sewing machine shop and bought my Pfaff Hobby sewing machine which the shop owner assured me was a good one for quilting. He was right in that it's good for beginners but I've, thankfully/hopefully, outgrown it in the past decade! _:-)_

I didn't do much for about ten years, just played with the machine, making curtains and such. Then my sister asked me to go to a local Adult Education class on quilting. She hated it and I loved it. End of story. I've been quilting ever since and have upgraded that Pfaff several times over.

SittingPretty 07-02-2010 11:16 AM

I used to sew a lot, but then the kids came and ran out of time. I had taught myself to crochet and did that since I was 15. Crocheted a lot, designs my own patterns and even had quite a few of them published. Then the arthritis started in my hands and they would just cramp up so bad when I tried to crochet. Saw a quilt at work. Every time I saw it I became more and more interested in making a quilt. Now, I'm hooked!

craftybear 07-02-2010 11:31 AM

I went to some quilt shows and fell in love with them. I have been collecting quilt books for quite some time now and love my books.

I make other crafts and just had to get into quilting.

fliedermaus 07-02-2010 11:33 AM

I was given a beautiful quilt for my 18th birthday. I took a few years to learn to use a sewing machine, making small bits and bobs, bags and the like and am now making my first.

So basically my Auntie Pat inspired me to begin.

mlaceruby 07-02-2010 11:45 AM

I was an avid cross stitcher. but then my kids came along
the youngest two have diasabilities and are only 11 months apart.
very hard to cross stitch while chasing after 2 small children
So I tried quilting, everything by hand!
It was great as I could put it down and pick it back up in 15 minutes and get right back to work! no trying to find my spot on the pattern or recounting a row!
My boys will be 17 and 18 in October!

PALS65 07-02-2010 12:25 PM

Eighteen years ago I worked full time at the local hospital and part time for my bf's cabinet shop. When we decided to get married my then bf now dh told me that I wasn't going to work for him anymore. I asked him what was I suppose to do with my spare time? (full time at the hospital was 32 hrs). He told me to find a hobby!! I told him I wanted to take up quilting so he bought everything I needed!! Been sewing ever since.

ann clare 07-02-2010 12:47 PM

Saw a raffle quilt and thought that I could do better. Learned a lot since then. Did not realise that it was a group effort.

sss 07-02-2010 12:57 PM

I started quilting after reading the Elm Creek Series. sss