Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to Make for a Sick Friend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-make-sick-friend-t116180.html)

JackieG 04-14-2011 06:11 PM

A very dear friend is in the hospital and will soon go to rehab to recover from a stroke and other complications. I would like to make her a nice quilt. I need your ideas on patterns that are both quick and easy. Is the 10-minute block as easy as some say?

hopetoquilt 04-14-2011 06:14 PM

single irish chain is very fast. I love the irish chain!!

earthwalker 04-14-2011 06:17 PM

The 10 minute block is very easy, and there have been two over the last couple of days which have been exceptionally pretty. When I first tried it, although easy, I didn't particularly like it....some of the latest 10 min. block quilts have definitely changed my mind.

Furza Flyin 04-14-2011 06:20 PM

If you have the ability to embroder, remember to sew her name on the quilt so it is easily read. Most of these facilities throw everyones clothes/blankets/quilts in together to be washed. The dryers dry VERY HOT, so dont use any thing that might melt. Please post a picture when you are done. hugs

ssnare 04-14-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by JackieG
A very dear friend is in the hospital and will soon go to rehab to recover from a stroke and other complications. I would like to make her a nice quilt. I need your ideas on patterns that are both quick and easy. Is the 10-minute block as easy as some say?

It is very easy.

MissSandra 04-14-2011 06:35 PM

My bunnie is in rehab at this time and the best thing is food, good home cooking, our facility here does not know the meaning of a nutricious meal. go at meal time and see what they are serving, bunnie is diabetic, and for dinner one night he got mac and cheese ontop of mac salad another night a breaded fish patty on a bun with french fries and coleslaw. some days things are missing out of his room then suddenly re-apeer. they will want to mark the quilt also so they know who it belongs to so a name tag should be on it. I wish her the best and that shes in a nice facility. Bunnie is in a nice facility but the food gets an F grade.

moonwork42029 04-14-2011 07:26 PM

Depending on her needs, the walker bags / wheel chair bags / lounge chair bags are very useful and can be prettied up as much as you'd like.

Depending on the type of stroke she had and again on her needs, you might want to do a lap quilt that has different textures to help with telling the differences in touch or an "adult" oriented "I spy" if she seems to have problems in recognizing everyday items.

The disappearing 9 patch is very quick and pretty.

Good wishes and thoughts to you and your friend.

Jim's Gem 04-14-2011 08:19 PM

Warm wishes is a great quilt. It goes together really fast and even the name is great!

angelwatcher 04-14-2011 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
Depending on the type of stroke she had and again on her needs, you might want to do a lap quilt that has different textures to help with telling the differences in touch or an "adult" oriented "I spy" if she seems to have problems in recognizing everyday items.

The disappearing 9 patch is very quick and pretty.

Good wishes and thoughts to you and your friend.

This was my thought also, using different textures such as corderoy, velvet, satin, minkee, eyelet over cotton, buttons to button, zipper to zip, laces to lace, etc. Since it would be hard to wash maybe make it into a book style for her to use. I also love the idea of the I spy, using foods, pics of family, etc.

Also sending good wishes and prayers of healing and restoration.

sushi 04-14-2011 08:31 PM

A "Four-Patch Posey" is very quick to make. It's been discussed recently on this Board, so I just had to make one. I'm nothing more than an "advanced beginner," and I made a lap-size quilt that looks like I spent much more time than I actually did.