Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What makes you look at a quilt and say "WOW"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-makes-you-look-quilt-say-%22wow%22-t104697.html)

DeneK 03-03-2011 02:11 PM

The colors draw my eye from across the room. But the WOW factor may become apparent as you get closer. Sometimes it is pattern, sometimes color, sometimes how the subject matter is interpreted.

I remember a quilt I saw at a show a few years ago in Ashville, NC. It was a portrait of a quilter -- she was depicted as an 8-armed Indian goddess. Each hand multitasking with something quilty. The longer you looked at it the more detail you found. Awesome!

Another show I saw a quilt depicting jazz and jazz musicians. Price tag on it was thousands (don't recall exactly) but were I wealthy, that quilt would have come home with me.

Each very different -- but WOW indeed!

Terryl 03-03-2011 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The color! A quilt can be absolute perfection in workmanship but if the colors are not right then the quilt is not pretty to me.

I agree, it's the color that draws my eyes to a quilt, painting, piece of jewelry, clothing, sofa, etc......

happyscrappy 03-03-2011 02:14 PM

i am always amazed by the hand quilted quilts - now that is talent.

Sadiemae 03-03-2011 02:20 PM

I am usually in the minority. Wow! to me is high contrast with bright colors. I like most others, but this catches my attention instantly.

AliKat 03-03-2011 02:22 PM

I look at a variety of elements:
color
texture or pattern
pattern of the quilt
how the quilt is made: is it well done or just plain sloppy
the backing and label
the quilting
the overall effect
the story of the quilt

It takes it all to make it work for me.

Some quilts I love even though there might not be much contrast. Other quilts have the contrast but the textures are so equal that the overall effect is more than just disappointing.

ali

suezquilts 03-03-2011 02:37 PM

Movement of the pattern. Secondary designs, color of course

PaperPrincess 03-03-2011 02:55 PM

I have not had an opportunity to visit any quilt shows, but everyday I go to the quilt show on the pictures page of this board. Because I'm a new quilter, when I see a picture of a quilt that captures my attention, I try to analyze what is attracting me. Color? Pattern? Execution? Depends on the quilt. I'm getting better handle on what is drawing my interest and hopefully I'll be able to incorporate that 'something' in my next project!

sueisallaboutquilts 03-03-2011 04:36 PM

The quilting always jumps out at me first!!! :D
I haven't been to a show in awhile and they were always hand quilted.
I've seen so many MQ on the board that I've gone absolutely wild over!!! :D:D
So that's my next venture :D:D:D

jdiane318 03-03-2011 04:57 PM

I would say color and contrast and then construction. Is it pieced traditionally or is it paper-pieced. I love fabric and quilts to me are the canvas that people display their artwork and talent with.

Pat P 03-03-2011 05:11 PM

The difficulty of the pattern-- the workmanship (precision) and the color combination. In other words a quilt I would never attempt!