Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What makes you look at a quilt and say "WOW"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-makes-you-look-quilt-say-%22wow%22-t104697.html)

laralea 03-04-2011 10:11 AM

Sometimes a quilt will take my breath away, which means it has captured something in my heart. Then I usually spend some time "drinking it in" before I look closer to figure out what about the quilt was so captivating. As a newbie, the first time that happened was at a show in NC where Ellen Guerrant had some quilts displayed. Her work is so full of her heart, I just love it.

StitchinJoy 03-04-2011 10:16 AM

Design really gets me. I am most often drawn to quilts with one central radiant focus rather than block layout. (Lone Star is an example.) Color sings to me, but it isn't what makes me WOW. Usually it's seeing something that looks fresh and new. Which is amazing in this craft!

gzuslivz 03-04-2011 10:22 AM

For me, I try to see beauty in each one. The quilt is important to the person that made it and I appreciate that. It's hard to say which one will make me say wow, though. It's not necessarily the degree of difficulty, although I am in awe of complicated patterns. It's not necessarily the color, although there are some colors I am more drawn to than others. It's not the style, although I am not as pulled to abstract designs. The quilts that cause me to say "Wow" are the ones that speak to my heart in some inexplicable way. I guess that was a long-winded way of saying, I don't know.

leaha 03-04-2011 10:43 AM

the first thing I see, is color, then I see the pattern, and then the quilting, it all makes the whole, and keeps you wanting to keep on looking, or come back for another look.

fivepaws 03-04-2011 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
Colors and design would be the first.
I tend to WOW over quilts that I think I could not make myself too.

Me Too. Which means most of them. LOL

DirtyPaw 03-04-2011 11:50 AM

Color draws me firstly. I like mostly bright cheery color then it is the design.

grandma anna 03-04-2011 12:07 PM

Color and fabric choice definitely.

Butterflyblue 03-04-2011 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
For me, it's a striking contrast of color and shapes.

This is what I would say. I like a lot of different things, but the common denominator is what I'd call "visual punch", and is part color and contrast and part design. I tend to like brights, but there has to be something more than just bright color to a quilt for me to like it.

quilterpam 03-04-2011 02:03 PM

It's the color conbinations for me.

Originally Posted by jackie o.
I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I just came back from a quilt show, and so many of the quilts were simply outstanding. Over the years, I've tried to decide what makes me look twice (or three times) at a quilt and think "How magnificent!"

I think that the choice (and combination) of fabrics has so much to do with how a quilt "feels" when it's all done. I am curious to read what other quilters think is the key to making one of those "WOW" quilts.

quilt3311 03-04-2011 03:12 PM

Color hits me first, then composition. I probably should not say it but the workmanship is the last thing I am drawn to.