Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is meandering? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-meandering-t155439.html)

fudge and furs 09-24-2011 08:06 AM

I know it has something to do with quilting tops.I would like to do more than tacking or tying. Thanks

loves_2_quilt 09-24-2011 08:15 AM

It is done with FMQ or a long arm. It is just going "where ever", I call it making puzzle pieces on my quilt. You may also see it called stipple.

Holice 09-24-2011 08:51 AM

You know the cartoon "Family Circus" when the kid takes a round about path home.
Meandering or stippling is just that but preferably without crossing the lines. Almost like a snake crawling.
You see it done with hand quilting in the applique quilts especially the Baltimore Album quilts. It is a background fill stitch.
Machine quilters find it easy to do and a way to fill the space easily.

Some define stippling as a smaller meander pattern.

wvdek 09-24-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
You know the cartoon "Family Circus" when the kid takes a round about path home.
Meandering or stippling is just that but preferably without crossing the lines. Almost like a snake crawling.
You see it done with hand quilting in the applique quilts especially the Baltimore Album quilts. It is a background fill stitch.

ROFLMAO!

DottyD 09-24-2011 10:01 AM

I just love your Avatar -- how cute !!!!

fudge and furs 09-24-2011 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Holice

Some define stippling as a smaller meander pattern.

Now I get it. Great description. Thanks

fudge and furs 09-24-2011 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by DottyD
I just love your Avatar -- how cute !!!!

Thank you, Makes me giggle each time I see it.

Dolphyngyrl 09-24-2011 01:33 PM

Its like stippling but a lot further apart

Holice 09-24-2011 02:08 PM

some years ago when The Stencil Co introduced their meandering stencil the manufacturer always called it the "worm stencil". Customers asked why you need a stencil for meandering. It became the most popular stencil in the catalog and might still be. I drew more sizes for the current catalog.
Then customers started saying that it helped them to get the rhythm of meandering and eventually were able to abandon the stencil.
I am awkward meandering because it is somewhat like rubboing you head and stomach at the same time. You have to find your rhythm.
The above is just a bit of quilt trivia that might enhance life.