Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Is My Problem ?!? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-my-problem-t262834.html)

NewNonni 03-18-2015 07:07 PM

What Is My Problem ?!?

Does anyone have this problem? I make All sorts of plans to make quilts and wall hangings for various people as gifts. I buy the patterns and fabric and notions. I often start and maybe get half way done, then I put the projects away (even for years!!!) and never complete them! I don 't know if I lose interest or it is too complicated or the deadline is past! I do know that I don't have a lot of free time, and I really haven't had a sewing room to leave projects out. I have a friend that told me that I chose difficult things to work on (and I am somewhat of a beginner). I am better at completing crocheted projects. I am So discouraged with myself, as each week I say to myself, I am going to work on such and such, then I procrastinate and avoid it. Have any of you done this? If so, any advice? Thanks So much!

sweet 03-18-2015 07:16 PM

I have no advice at the moment except to say that you are not alone......

slbram17 03-18-2015 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by NewNonni (Post 7132621)
Does anyone have this problem? I make ALL sorts of plans to make quilts and wall hangings for various people as gifts. I buy the patterns and fabric and notions. I often start and maybe get half way done, then I put the projects away (even for years!!!) and never complete them! I don 't know if I lose interest or it is too complicated or the deadline is past! I do know that I don't have a lot of free time, and I really haven't had a sewing room to leave projects out. I have a friend that told me that I chose difficult things to work on (and I am somewhat of a beginner). I am better at completing crocheted projects. I am SO discouraged with myself, as each week I say to myself, I am going to work on such and such, then I procrastinate and avoid it. Have any of you done this? If so, any advice? Thanks SO much!

Just a thought...it sounds to me like you enjoy crochet more than you actually enjoy sewing/quilting.

NewNonni 03-18-2015 07:35 PM

Sweet, your comment made me chuckle! It is good to know I am not alone!

NewNonni 03-18-2015 07:39 PM

Slbram, you are probably right about maybe I like crocheting better. I am more confident with it , and it usually is 't such a huge project. But, I am So drawn to quilting. I will need to analyze it more. Thanks for your insight.

sewingsuz 03-18-2015 07:45 PM

Try this. don't start another project until you finish one. Make a list and put a finished date which is a goal. Give yourself realistic time and see how you can accomplish this. As you finish on ufo put it in a bag and keep for a gift at xmas or Birthday for who you want to have this. Take a picture and look at your acomplishments often. Good Luck!!!!:thumbup:

ScubaK 03-18-2015 07:45 PM

Quit procrastinating....
Work on it for even as little as 10 minutes... press your fabric or pieces, separate them... then walk away...
A bit done today is better than nothing....
Kirsten

pocoellie 03-18-2015 07:56 PM

I don't know how "experienced" you are in quilting, but maybe your friend is right in the fact that you have a tendency to pick patterns too difficult for your experience. How about trying an easier pattern, if you can sew 15 minutes a day, you'll be amazed at how soon you'll get it done. If you could manage to find a space to have a "sewing area", it's sooooooooo very helpful, particularly if you have to pick everything up until the next time. If I had to do that, I would never get any sewing done, period. Another suggestion is whatever pattern you pick, maybe pick a smaller finished size.

DresiArnaz 03-18-2015 08:28 PM

I was like that for a long time.

It was hard for me to keep going because I didn't have a dedicated sewing space and I used to have major difficulty with leaving the sewing machine up on the dinner table and stringing things about while working on them.

I got sick of not doing anything productive besides cooking, cleaning and fixing stuff.

Life is too short.

I finally had to jettison the old OCD, get over it and get busy!

I'm much happier now and so what if the Singer is out on the dinner table all the time as long as we can work around it easily.

Oh the wasted years I spent worrying about the little things that don't matter!

I could have done so much more...

SMH

DresiArnaz 03-18-2015 08:30 PM

Start small. Make some pillows or potholders or something to ease back into it.