Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is one thing you have made and will never make again?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-one-thing-you-have-made-will-never-make-again-t172771.html)

tallchick 12-21-2011 10:56 AM

What is one thing you have made and will never make again??

For me it is anything flannel!!! After making 5 rag quilts I have been sorely disappointed by the quality of flannel after washing them and seeing all the pills. I have decided I HATE flannel with a passion. The same thing happens to my flannel sheets and it is a waste of money. I will make rag quilts again but not with flannel, I will try homespun fabrics for my next one.

Candace 12-21-2011 11:02 AM

If you bought low quality flannel from Joannes' then yes, you will see pilling like mad. Good, quality LQS flannel will look mch nicer and give you a great final product. I made the mistake of buying a ton of JA flannel last year at the Black Friday sale. I've made quite a few rag quilts with it and they look terrible:< Never again! Though, the rag quilts made with GOOD flannel look awesome.

charity-crafter 12-21-2011 11:17 AM

What's the price range of good flannel that still looks good after washing a couple times?

Candace 12-21-2011 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 4800448)
What's the price range of good flannel that still looks good after washing a couple times?

If you shop sales online and at your LQS (like I do) I don't pay more than $5 a yard for it.

fmhall2 12-21-2011 11:45 AM

I use flannel for making chemo pillows for the American Legion Auxiliary, of which I am a member.

jaciqltznok 12-21-2011 11:56 AM

to get back to the topic that was posted..I will never again make a DWR....love the LOOK of the quilt..hate doing curved piecing!

NJ Quilter 12-21-2011 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 4800448)

I've used Moda flannel and LOVED it! Got it at a little shop in Lancaster for probably around $8/yard. But it's really nice flannel.

Other than that - I don't think I'll ever do a log cabin quilt again! The tedium about drove me insane. It's all together now and I'm in the process of quilting it but I don't see another one in my future at least for a very long time, if ever.

Val in IN 12-21-2011 11:58 AM

I will NEVER make another T-shirt quilt. After I got the lightweight fusible interfacing on the backs of the T-shirts, got the blocks sashed, and the borders added, I sent it to my LA'r. She called me back a few days later She got the sashings, and the borders done, but when she started quilting the T-shirt blocks, all they did was slide around and she could NOT make her LA machine quilt them. She gave the quilt back to me (absoulutely wouldn't let me pay her for the quilting she did) for me to hopefully figure out how to do the blocks, Apparently, the fusible had come loose from the backs of the blocks. NO WAY to fix them. I ended up handquilting them. Much like trying to handquilt a piece of plywood. After several bent and broken needles, and bleeding fingers, I finished it. NEVER AGAIN!!! :thumbdown:

tallchick 12-21-2011 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 4800412)
If you bought low quality flannel from Joannes' then yes, you will see pilling like mad. Good, quality LQS flannel will look mch nicer and give you a great final product. I made the mistake of buying a ton of JA flannel last year at the Black Friday sale. I've made quite a few rag quilts with it and they look terrible:< Never again! Though, the rag quilts made with GOOD flannel look awesome.

I did not buy this from Joann's it was bought online and it was not cheap.......

faykilgore 12-21-2011 12:27 PM

Bless your heart, Val! How frustrating! My friend wants me to help her do one.
I agree with the log cabin thing. The quilt I did used tiny narrow strips which showed every tiny deviation from 1/4" seams. For me I started My Cats Garden about 14 years ago. It's very detailed hand appliqué. Out of the nine blocks I've finished 6. I will NEVER make this quilt again. I just hope I live long enough to make it once!