Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what to pack for retreat??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-pack-retreat-t238793.html)

scrappingfaye58 01-14-2014 02:32 AM

what to pack for retreat???

My guild retreat weekend is coming up in a few weeks... I have been there several times now, but I still wonder, did I forget to pack something. (even though it looks like I brought half the studio with me) What is your bottom line, MUST HAVE when you are sewing away from home?

Capri 01-14-2014 03:28 AM

My own coffee and a crystal wine glass - two absolute essentials! That's first. Then, a brand new project and an old one, enough fabric to work with, matching threads, machine WITH power lead AND foot pedal, spare globe/needles (machine & hand)/bobbins/pins, scrap fabric to test stitch on, plastic/wooden finger presser, herra marker, air fading pen/chalk/marker, lead pencil, fabric eraser, templates/template plastic/heat resistant mylar and basting spray/pins etc. Applique supplies if appliquing/paper piecing supplies if paper piecing and at least one fancy gadget you can talk about/show and tell if you want to. Depending on what you're doing, you might wish to take 505, spray baste it or similar. These are the things in my kit - I don't need to take rulers but I do take my own rotary cutter. Make sure it's all marked CLEARLY with your name. Now if you have any room left, you could add mini iron mini cutting mat and block book.

I have these things (apart from the project pattern & fabric) all packed in a bag ready to go as I go out to quilting once a week and this is my essentials list. One bag for applique another for regular and paper piecing. They stay packed with the spares and I just add the project to the bag and pack up my machine. It works well for me as the bags double as storage too. HTH - have a fabulous time!

toverly 01-14-2014 04:17 AM

Capri, I never thought of the coffee cup and wine glass! Thanks for the idea, I have my first retreat in two weekends an am trying to think of things to take. Your list is wonderful. scrappingfaye58 have a wonderful time at your retreat. I am looking forward to this thread to see what others take also.

CookyIN 01-14-2014 04:45 AM

I'd love to hear about all your retreat experiences -- especially what you like or don't like. The thought of packing and lugging everything I'd need always stops me from signing up. Is it money well spent?

cjsews 01-14-2014 05:44 AM

CookyIN, it is so worth the money. You get to spend time doing what we love most, qulting, talking and eating. I have a retreat coming in a couple weeks myself. I take a new project, some old ufo's and some smaller projects to do between these. This year it is aprons requested by my girls, a new quilt for a co-worker and several UFO's that have little to finish them up. I take plenty and just unload the car as I get around to them.

PaperPrincess 01-14-2014 06:14 AM

And make sure that you label everything! I put my name on the plug end of all my cords, this way if there's a bunch of stuff plugged into an electrical strip you can identify and unplug yours easily. I would also take the manual for my machine and extra bobbins.

mckwilter 01-14-2014 06:44 AM

The first thing I do is decide what I want to work on -- do I want to finish some UFOs, PhDs, or WIPs (if there's any difference in them) or do I want to start something totally new. The last retreat I went to, I finished 3 tops and pieced a bunch of blocks that had been cut out. Then I start assembling "kits" -- the UFO and the fabrics, threads, etc. If I am starting something totally new, I cut the fabrics according to the directions so everything is ready to start sewing. Make up a "kit" and be sure to include all the uncut fabrics, just in case there's an oops. Then, all the kits go in one tote.

Check over your equipment -- sewing machine, pedal & cord, sewing tray (if applicable) and manual. I have a tote that holds my scissors, snips, rotary cutters, markers, seam rippers, measuring tape, pens & pencils, post-it notes, glue sticks, pin cushion/scrap bag combo and pins. I always take a small fan. I have a wooden TV tray that I covered to make a small ironing station and my iron. and I have a small table to use as a cutting station, along with a bag that holds my cutting pads and rulers. I take a hot/cold cup with a lid and a mug rug to set it on and a seat cushion to pad the chair. I also bring a 6-socket extension cord, since I always use at least 4 -- sewing machine, ott light, iron and fan. And I bring my iPad. Most retreat centers now have WiFi, so I can play music or watch a tutorial.

TinkerQuilts 01-14-2014 09:29 AM

I had trouble putting things together for retreats, then found this link that's been on the QB for quite some time (hope it still works).

http://www.quiltingboard.com/attachm...ent-255682.pdf

quilt addict 01-14-2014 12:14 PM

Enjoy your retreat! My guild retreat is in May so I have awhile to wait. It will be my second one. I am not sure what I will take to work on but agree with everyone to take a couple of things so if you are in the mood to do something different you can.

Suggest:
Extra light for your work area
Plug strip or extension cord
Flannel sheet and some command strip hooks to make a design wall if you are laying out a quilt
I try to eat healthier so some snacks to nibble on and favorite beverage
Comfy shoes and clothes
Budget cash or CC limit to hit some LQS or other shopping
Sewing machine needles

nygal 01-14-2014 12:20 PM

I haven't been on a retreat in years but I always did enjoy them. Have a wonderful time!!!