Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is this pattern? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-pattern-t263538.html)

mermaid 04-03-2015 05:57 PM

What is this pattern?

1 Attachment(s)
I got the quilt top at an estate sale for $15--actually didn't like the fabric choices and intended making it a charity quilt. But it finished out to be a queen size and after meander quilting, I found it very likeable--mainly because of the yellow. But I don't know what the pattern is. I machined it with varigated thread of gold, brown, yellow combo.[ATTACH=CONFIG]515792[/ATTACH] But I don't recognize the pattern. I hope the small center block can be seen (with pinwheel). Thx in advance for helping me put a name to it.

Nammie to 7 04-03-2015 06:01 PM

Good save on this quilt! I like the colors and especially like the stripes in the stars.

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-03-2015 06:15 PM

me thinks that's the Ohio star pattern, but i'm sure it has more than one name, it's been around for awhile.....

joyce888 04-03-2015 06:36 PM

Look at quilterscache.com and you can view blocks by their picture.

busy fingers 04-03-2015 06:51 PM

It certainly looks like an Ohio star but has a pinwheel in the middle of each block.

lynnie 04-03-2015 07:14 PM

it really came out lovely

Mdegenhart 04-04-2015 02:45 AM

I know that as Variable Star from the Quilts, Quilts Quilts book, but without the pinwheel, just a solid block center. It was the first block I ever made in my beginners class. I'm making a baby quilt with some in it now.

Barb in Louisiana 04-04-2015 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart (Post 7152724)
I know that as Variable Star from the Quilts, Quilts Quilts book, but without the pinwheel, just a solid block center. It was the first block I ever made in my beginners class. I'm making a baby quilt with some in it now.

EQ has the same info and no pinwheel in the center. Are you trying to make this block? Or just trying to get a name for it?

mermaid 04-04-2015 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana (Post 7152779)
EQ has the same info and no pinwheel in the center. Are you trying to make this block? Or just trying to get a name for it?

thank you all! I have finished the quilt (source of top in post above)...I just could not wrap my brain around the pattern name. I know I've seen it before, but couldn't recall a name. The maker of the top had passed away, and I actually bought 5 of her tops. I suspected she only worked with what she had in scraps, and the colors didn't matter so much if I was donating to charity. But this one I kinda like enough to keep for myself. The fabric colors don't display correctly in the photo, but the yellow is quite bright. Thanks to you all for helping me out. I shall now go further to identify the windmill block that's in the center.

mermaid 04-04-2015 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7152614)
it really came out lovely

yes, Lynnie--it IS a pretty finished quilt. I just put a white back on. I thought it was sooo ugly when I started, but now I like it.