Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What pattern would you use please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-pattern-would-you-use-please-t310023.html)

PumpkinSundae 03-05-2020 09:05 AM

What pattern would you use please

1 Attachment(s)
I would like to make a baby quilt with this foxes pattern and I have a teal tone print to go along with it but can't figure out what quilt pattern I should use. I thought of stars but the pieces would either be cut too small and not showcase the foxes well or if I made them larger I don't think I would end using too much of the foxes fabric. The mom-to-be chose the fabric.

Grateful for any ideas. Thanks.

bkay 03-05-2020 09:55 AM

How large would you have to cut your focus fabric to get at least a whole fox in each square? I would think that would limit/determine which patterns would work. (maybe take another photo of your fabric with a ruler on it)

I'm guessing that it's large enough to get a 5" or 6" square that will show the foxes well. If that is so, then I might consider a disappearing nine patch. Use your fox fabric in each corner, get either a black or rust for the center square and use the teal between the foxes. This is my favorite layout for the D9P.

I prefer to strip piece the squares rather than make the 9-patch and cut it up. I get better results that way, but either way works.
bkay

Terry in the ADK 03-05-2020 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by bkay (Post 8366504)
How large would you have to cut your focus fabric to get at least a whole fox in each square? I would think that would limit/determine which patterns would work. (maybe take another photo of your fabric with a ruler on it)

I'm guessing that it's large enough to get a 5" or 6" square that will show the foxes well. If that is so, then I might consider a disappearing nine patch. Use your fox fabric in each corner, get either a black or rust for the center square and use the teal between the foxes. This is my favorite layout for the D9P.

I prefer to strip piece the squares rather than make the 9-patch and cut it up. I get better results that way, but either way works.
bkay

I love the idea and the tutorial is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. Now might you give us one using your strip piece technique you prefer. TIA

nativetexan 03-05-2020 10:09 AM

square in a square would be enough to be interesting. center of churn dash blocks. many choices. just look at block patterns and think how your fabric print might work.

Barb in Louisiana 03-05-2020 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Warm Wishes would be my first pick. Basically, pick the size block you want for the focus. Let's say 6 inches. Then you make strips of other fabrics 3 fabrics, cutting each strip with a width of 2.5 inches. Keep a constant center fabric. Then you turn the strips back and forth as you sew them in the rows.
This pattern is "Around the Block" that I made several years ago. You will notice that There were basically only 3 fabrics. The focus fabric, the 2nd focus which was the larger Center strip, then the fabric on both sides of the strip. The beauty of this quilt, is that you can make the focus blocks any size you want and just adjust the strips to match and you only have to match the corners. Goes together very quickly.

Tartan 03-05-2020 10:36 AM

Warm Wishes would be my choice as well.

Notwendy 03-05-2020 11:42 AM

Or if you would like to try a large paper-pieced design there is a free fox baby quilt by Shwin & Shwin (I have no connection to them just think the design is cute and it is on my to-do list).

https://www.favequilts.com/Quilts-Fo...-Quilt-Pattern

The focus fabric picked out by the mother could be part of the body or have blocks surrounding the main design.

Rhonda K 03-05-2020 02:11 PM

Perhaps you can use the fabric for the backing. I wouldn't want to cut the foxes. Make the front from coordinating fabrics with the colors in the fox print.

Rff1010 03-05-2020 02:28 PM

It may depend on how much of the fabric you have. And how big a quilt you want to end up with. I think I would go with centers of churn dashes. Teal and white - but flip the colors around to add variety.

Irishrose2 03-05-2020 02:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My favorite for this is a pattern called Fatty, Fatty, 2x4. I Googled it and nothing came up. Here is a pic, but it's not very clear. The one I have on the machine now has the feature fabric cut 4 1/2 by 7 1/2". The strips on the sides 2 by 7 1/2" and the squares for the 4Patch are 2 1/4". The bigger square is 4" Attachment 622996One block is the feature fabric with the strips sewn on each side. The other is 2 4 patches and 2 plain blocks sewn together in a larger 4 patch. Then they are alternated. It's very simple as long as you keep the 4 patch blocks orientated in the same direction.