Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   WHAT is a PIF?: Here is a candy bar dessert (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-pif-here-candy-bar-dessert-t172450.html)

Johanna Fritz 12-18-2011 01:43 PM

WHAT is a PIF?: Here is a candy bar dessert

1 Attachment(s)
What is a PIF? anyway...here is a great, great dessert. (Photo at the end)

Caramel-Peanut Butter Bars

Prep Time 50min Total Time 4:50 Hrs:Mins Makes 36 bars

Do you love candy bars? Try this cookie bar, and you'll have 3 dozen delightful indulgences that are like candy bars.

Cookie Base
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) sugar cookie mix
½ cup butter or margarine, softened
1 egg
15 miniature chocolate-covered peanut butter cup candies, coarsely chopped

Filling
36 caramels (from 14-oz bag), unwrapped
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated)
¼ cup creamy peanut butter
½ cup peanuts

Topping
1 container (1 lb) Rich & Creamy milk chocolate frosting
½ cup peanuts, chopped

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In large bowl, stir cookie mix, butter and egg until soft dough forms. Stir in candies. Press dough in bottom of pan. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until light golden brown.
2. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, heat caramels and milk over medium heat, stirring constantly, until caramels are melted. Stir in peanut butter. Heat to boiling. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat; stir in 1/2 cup peanuts. Spread over warm cookie base. Cool completely, about 2 hours.
3. Spread frosting evenly over filling. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. For bars, cut 9 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
Makes 36 bars

Skip the cooking spray, and instead line the pan with quick-release foil for easy cleanup and removal of bars from the pan. Cut bars in half again to make bite-size squares for a dessert buffet.

sharon b 12-18-2011 01:45 PM

PIF- Pay it Forward
The dessert looks yummy :)

ppquilter 12-18-2011 01:45 PM

Pay it Forward

momto5 12-18-2011 02:05 PM

Good thing I don't live in WI...I'd be on your doorstep before these got cold!

traveler53 12-18-2011 02:28 PM

They look yummy. I will make them next month. I made 18 different batches for Christmas and made the trays up today. I am done with cookies for this month!

patsynel 12-18-2011 02:41 PM

These look yummy, recipe is printing now. Thank you.

athomenow 12-18-2011 05:30 PM

Adding these to the holiday baking this week. Thanks, I'm always looking for something new and different to add.

Mickey1 12-18-2011 08:43 PM

Thank you!

Greenheron 12-18-2011 09:00 PM

Catherine Hyde, wrote the novel PAY IT FORWARD (2000) made into a movie. There is a PAY IT FORWARD foundation. That's the origin of PIF. The concept is that we receive and then we give to others in many ways and those acts spread and spread.

Johanna Fritz 12-19-2011 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron (Post 4793317)
Catherine Hyde, wrote the novel PAY IT FORWARD (2000) made into a movie. There is a PAY IT FORWARD foundation. That's the origin of PIF. The concept is that we receive and then we give to others in many ways and those acts spread and spread.

Thanks. I have heard the phrase, just not the TLA (3 letter acronym). I have 2 teens and I do not allow them to have text messaging on the phone...so I wasn't sure if PIF was a quilting one (like LQS), or a texting one that I would not know. Thanks again.