Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What are the proper care instructions for a quilt?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-proper-care-instructions-quilt-t240956.html)

Jeanne S 02-12-2014 04:28 PM

What are the proper care instructions for a quilt??

I just finished readind all the wonderful posts in the wrapping paper/quilt bag post, and many of you mentioned you put care instructions in the bag when giving a quilt. That got me thinking that as a new quilter I don't know what the proper instructions are other than not storing in plastic. What are your care instructions ??

sandrab64 02-12-2014 04:50 PM

I usually wash a finished quilt in hot water and synthropol and then throw in the dryer. The instructions I give to recipient is to wash in cold water and tumble dry.

RST 02-12-2014 05:06 PM

Machine wash and tumble dry on cool settings.

On the rare occasion when I have a bleeder fabric, I'll include a color catcher and explain how to use it.

ManiacQuilter2 02-12-2014 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by RST (Post 6571316)
Machine wash and tumble dry on cool settings.

On the rare occasion when I have a bleeder fabric, I'll include a color catcher and explain how to use it.

It just depends on how long you want this quilt to last. Harsher detergents will wear out the quilt more quickly, so will the heat in the dryer. Always a good idea to stick a color catcher in for safety. Never know if there is a bleeder even if you pre-washed your fabric.

tesspug 02-12-2014 06:21 PM

I put in this: This quilt is made to be loved. Wrap up in it on the couch, tuck it around a sick child, spread it on the grass for a picnic. Wash in cool water and hang it upside down on the clothes line.

NJ Quilter 02-13-2014 07:48 AM

I don't put any written instructions with my quilts. I just tell the recipients to wash/dry as they would any 100% cotton item. They've all lasted quite a while so far. Only had quilt that had problem fabric. No matter how many times I washed that fabric/quilt I had issues. Finally gifted it along with a box of color catchers and told them to NEVER wash that quilt without them!

Jingle 02-13-2014 08:07 AM

I wash my quilts with detergent, fabric softener and dry in the dryer. I use cold water and low heat.
I feed the wild birds and guess what gets on anything I would hang outside or lay outside to dry. A wet quilt hanging on a clothesline would put a lot of strain on the seams and quilting stitches.
I much prefer the dryer over the clothesline.
I don't expect my quilts to last forever.

PenniF 02-13-2014 08:39 AM

I wash all my quilts twice once they are done and before given away....and always use the same care instruction... Machine wash separately, gentle cycle, cool water - Machine dry.
Since i have washed them on the regular cycle with warm water and "regular" dry...i figure they cannot go wrong.