Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What to purchase? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-purchase-t86739.html)

LastGrandma 01-01-2011 09:11 AM

I have accumulated some cash to spend on quilting this holiday season. And can't make up my mind as to what I want to buy. I have enough to get the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter or the Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter. What to do? What to do?

I am not an artsy quilter, but love to make all kinds of quilts and things. Don't know that I would use the EQ7 to it's fullest, but would it help me that much with original quilts -- photos turned into quilts or landscape quilts? (I am very computer literate and am married to a guy that can help me if I get stuck; so no concerns there.)

AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter would be helpful with accurate cutting of triangles and other applique shapes, but I see the dies as a real budget killer.

The Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter does not seem to be real sturdy or stress free. And I usually can cut my strips accurately.

So now that I have written this out, it appears that my choices are really between the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter.

Which would you chose and why? I am so torn. Thanks for any help you can give me....

np3 01-01-2011 09:14 AM

Personally, I love cutting the fabric so I would go with the EQ7. I have been designing my own quilts for years so I hesitate to buy it myself, but it looks like you would get good use out of it.

stpatmom 01-01-2011 09:16 AM

I guess it comes down to what you think you'll use more. Are you on the computer a lot? Do you think you'd enjoy spending hours designing your own quilts? I imagine the satisfaction of going from designing to completion would be awesome. On the other hand, the accuquilt cutter would be helpful for extremely precise cutting. Boy, you really do have a decision to make! Good Luck and enjoy whichever you choose.

CoyoteQuilts 01-01-2011 09:22 AM

Me, I'd go with the EQ 7... I would only want the cutting machine for odd shape for applique and since I don't like to do applique......

Candace 01-01-2011 09:29 AM

The Simplicity Fabric Strip cutter has received terrible reviews here. Do a search using the search feature above...maybe that will help with your decision.

Holice 01-01-2011 09:31 AM

Those who have the accuquiltcutter are thrilled with what it can do. If you are into design then the eq7 might be the way to go.

carolaug 01-01-2011 09:34 AM

I love the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter - it makes making a quilt so easy and fun...and very quick. I like how it does not need to be plugged in and no computers involved...just simple and easy.

AngieS 01-01-2011 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
I love the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter - it makes making a quilt so easy and fun...and very quick. I like how it does not need to be plugged in and no computers involved...just simple and easy.

I agree I love my Accuquilt. Never thought of using the EQ...not sure I would really use that much. The Accuquilt makes your cutting go so fast so that you can spend more time sewing. :)

featherweight 01-01-2011 09:55 AM

The only thing I can say is cross the Simplicity cutter off your list. Check the threads about this machine.

LastGrandma 01-01-2011 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by featherweight
The only thing I can say is cross the Simplicity cutter off your list. Check the threads about this machine.

The Simplicity Fabric Strip Cutter does not seem to be real sturdy or stress free. And I usually can cut my strips accurately.

So now that I have written this out, it appears that my choices are really between the EQ7 or the AccuQuilt Fabric Cutter.