Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What questions do you ask? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-questions-do-you-ask-t94656.html)

rivka 01-28-2011 09:31 AM

When making a quilt for someone else, do you ask them any questions to try to get a feel for what they might like or want? If so, what questions do you ask them?

Or do some of you just try to guess what they might like, and just go ahead and make it?

pester 01-28-2011 09:34 AM

I likely ask them about favorite colors. Depending on how much its a surprise quilt I'd ask direct questions about what they like preferences are verse just looking around their house and guessing.

Japonica 01-28-2011 09:39 AM

Last year I sent an email to all the females (DD, DIL's) asking things like favorite colors, sizes of beds, childrens beds, table sizes, and room colors. I do other projects and did not quilt at the time. I told them all not to ask why although they did assume it would be for something handmade. When they sent the emails back, I printed them out and have them in my drawer in my craft room. Now, when I go to make them something, I refer to the emails!!! :roll:

Prism99 01-28-2011 09:39 AM

It's a good idea to ask about favorite bedroom colors. A friend's grandmother asked what her favorite color was (red), and made a quilt for her that is primarily red. The friend said she wishes she had known it was for a quilt, because her favorite bedroom colors are entirely different from her favorite clothing colors.

feline fanatic 01-28-2011 09:41 AM

If the quilt is a total surprise I just try to observe surroundings to see what colors they like. For example my DMIL I made her quilt for Christmas that was to be a total complete surprise. I noticed she likes fall colors (lots of fall colors in the house) so a fall themed quilt was perfect. She absolutely loved it.

My DSD I told her outright I wanted to make her a quilt and asked her what colors and then I asked if she wanted to select a pattern and she left that up to me.

My DB has had input on the whole process. He told me colors then once I selected a design I ran it by him. When it came to the quilting he wanted to know if I could do his tattoos and I said sure just model for me so I can draw them.

For expectant mom's who got quilts from me I always asked what colors do you want.

So I guess the questions depend on how fussy the recipient is and how much of a surprise it is. Color preference has to rank #1 as the best question.

amma 01-28-2011 09:46 AM

Regarding the fabric: Colors, what do they like/dislike? Do they like florals/geometrics/solids/blenders. Some I know do NOT care for any of the civil war or 30's era fabrics. Or florals mixed with plaids/stripes LOL

Regarding the quilt pattern. Do you like applique? Traditional patterns? Contemporary?

I try to remember what I have seen in their homes as a starting point, to asking these questions :D:D:D

DawnMarie 01-28-2011 10:12 AM

I ask what colors, what pattern, and if they would like one. No sense in making one if they aren't going to use it. Though sometimes, I'll know instantly based on the person and the type of quilt being made, whether it would be used or not, and I just go for it.

candi 01-28-2011 10:21 AM

I am fairly a beginner quilter, and so far had only made a quilt for my mom. But if I were to make a quilt for someone, I'd check the style they have their homes decorated with and go from there. Generally, I get a feel for their taste, style and colors just remembering how thir homes look like. If it not as obvious, I'd ask them what colors and basic style would they like for a quilt. I agree with the one poster that favorite color may not be necessarily the color you'd like for your bedroom quilt.

Sadiemae 01-28-2011 10:29 AM

I usually know people well enough when I make them something, so I don't need to ask. I did ask my sister what colors one of my great nieces liked because I had no idea.

Murphy 01-28-2011 11:14 AM

I would be observant when around that person and see how their tastes run particularly if I want this to be a total surprise.