Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ♥ What quilting classes have you taken at Local Quilt Shops, Quilt Shows, Quilt Retreats? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-classes-have-you-taken-local-quilt-shops-quilt-shows-quilt-retreats-t146556.html)

SweetSlumber 08-20-2011 06:35 PM

Stack n Whack at a weekend quilt retreat.
Famous teachers: Threadplay with Libby Lehman, Paper Piecing with Carol Doak, a color theory class with Joen Wolfrom, a machine-applique class with Sue Nichols and Come Play with Me by Diane Hire. Would love to take a workshop with Paula Nadelstern.

Granny Quilter 08-20-2011 07:00 PM

I joined a class at the local senior center. Free to anyone over 50. (I'm 730. Taught by Eleanor Burns niece. She learned from her aunt. I told her it bothers me, how she throws scraps over her shoulder. She says that started when she, and 2 other nieces were behind her on the floor waiting for scraps to make doll clothes. I had made quilts before, but not with patterns, and didn't really know what I was doing. With this class and what I am learning on here I am getting better.

GwynR 08-20-2011 07:21 PM

An eight week beginner class, then a machine quilting class. Then a few more classes. I try to choose classes where there will be something new for me. Then I bought a Bernina and signed up for all the free classes. I am currently signed up for a class called "About Trout" and the software mastery classes for Bernina. Can't wait! :-) Oh, is the Buggy Barn famous? I took a crazy camp class with them! That was loads of fun!

scraphq 08-20-2011 07:22 PM

Plane geometry in high school was the best and only quilting class I've had. Didn't realize it at the time, but the knowledge gained has been very helpful in quilting.

DonnaC 08-20-2011 07:23 PM

I took Karen McTavish's class "McTavishing on Your Domestic Machine" at the Machine Quilter's Expo last April. BEST class ever! I learned so much. I would say that she's the most "famous" of the teachers I've taken classes with. But I generally enjoy all the classes no matter who is teaching them!

Jim 08-20-2011 07:51 PM

I've only taken 1 class and it was free from our Library...it was for a sampler quilt and I wanted to learn more about paper piecing...I never completed the quilt...I learned what I wanted to about PP and was quite satisfied (someday I will use the blocks to make a small quilt or pillows...Love our library here...we attend a quilt quild at the library as well

sewlisa 08-20-2011 07:55 PM

I took a class with a friend (her idea) on making a reversible quilted jacket. Only wore it a couple times. Didn't like how it fit me. I would love to take a "real" quilting class, but the quilt shops are so far from home. That and I work evenings, so it's difficult to find one that works with my schedule.

heather1949 08-20-2011 09:26 PM

Self taught at our Tuesday meets, great bunch of girls we all help each other.

crazythread 08-21-2011 02:55 AM

Mimi Dietrich and Joyce Becker on a quilting cruise. What a great time. My favorite of all time is the class with Bonnie Hunter. She has inspired me tremendously. I always loved scrappy quilts and she is the Queen.

barnbum 08-21-2011 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by Rose L
I have never taken a class of any kind. Learned all I know from books and magazines and sites like this.

Me too! I'm a lone quilter. :wink: