Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What quilting LA machine/frame do you have and why??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-la-machine-frame-do-you-have-why-t39971.html)

Somebunny 03-18-2010 08:38 PM

Is anyone else as confused about what to buy as I am???

I have been shopping for a long arm, mid arm (not sure yet), with or without a frame to start with (but definitely want one), and possibly robotics down the road, so I need to plan ahead, but may buy in steps and I have confused myself sufficiently with all the different bands I'm reading about. I quilt for personal use and pleasure only right now.

What machine/frame/robotics do you have and why do you like it? Any "Be Aware" items to look out for? Please tell me everything about your machine and purchase. Anything and everything you can tell me will be helpful! Include pictures! I'd love to see your set up. Thank you! :)

Jim's Gem 03-18-2010 08:42 PM

I'm going to watch this. I am years away on a LA but am interested for future.

Candace 03-19-2010 06:09 AM

There have been a lot of threads about this. Have you used the search feature at the top of the page? The search feature is very helpful. Good luck.

Somebunny 03-19-2010 07:47 AM

Hi Candace, your right. Your last thread on the subject was great! I missed that chat as we were on a trip. Goes to show, keep on "searching"...

luvstoquilt301 03-19-2010 08:16 AM

I have the Handiquilter 16. I spent months researching and wanted this one but used.

My friend bought a Voyager and likes that. She seems to have quite a bit of tension issues but that maybe just learning the machine. I went through the same thing in the beginning.

Candace 03-19-2010 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
There have been a lot of threads about this. Have you used the search feature at the top of the page? The search feature is very helpful. Good luck.

I've spent hours using the search feature to research all kinds of things. I hope folks don't get sick of me recommending it. But I really don't think most people know about it or how to use it. I think it's great!

amandasgramma 03-19-2010 08:44 AM

I have a mid-arm..a Pfaff on a Grace Frame. The frame is fine....I have no problems with it. BUT, if I'd had a choice (a friend sold me this cheap) and the money, I'd be buying a long-arm. With the mid-arm you're restricted to quilting patterns about 5" in size. With the long-arm you can quilt much bigger designs......and you wanna guess which size I keep picking out?????????????

rivka 03-19-2010 09:15 AM

I have a 15" Bailey, on a Little Gracie II. I'm very happy with it.

amandasgramma, what is the throat space on your Pfaff? If it's 9" or less, then that's technically a short-arm (I know some places that sell them like to call a 9" a mid-arm, but it really isn't, IMHO). I personally wouldn't consider something a mid-arm unless it was 13"/15" or bigger. On my 15", I can easily get 12" when I first start quilting, and even when I get towards the end of a large quilt, I'm still getting at least 8" or so of space.

dakotamaid 03-19-2010 09:29 AM

I'm investing in a Mid Arm Fun Quilter by Nolting. End of April, can't wait!! Did a considerable amount of research and playing on them at shows over the last 3 years. It comes with a stretch hinterberg frame. I'm buying it used but the seller has only used it about 60 hours.

Somebunny 03-19-2010 11:07 AM

You look happy in front of that Handiquilter! The HQ is on my list. Thanks.

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301
I have the Handiquilter 16. I spent months researching and wanted this one but used.

My friend bought a Voyager and likes that. She seems to have quite a bit of tension issues but that maybe just learning the machine. I went through the same thing in the beginning.