Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Quilting Magazines do you like and why? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-magazines-do-you-like-why-t181937.html)

kamaiarigby 03-07-2012 11:19 AM

you have wonderful magazines in America, but for us to buy one we would pay anything from $17.95 to $20.95
In Australia and New Zealand we have Australian patchwork and quilting, which is a great magazine with great patterns

pacquilter 03-07-2012 11:40 AM

My favorite magazines are those which feature the quilts which are within my capabilities, and have the patterns in them. I usually like the ones which are neither super simple or overly complicated, and I think most of the magazines out there would fall into that category. If I were you, I'd go to the store and look through each one and get a feel for what appeals to you. I will say it is quite fun to get that magazine(s) in the mail every month!

quiltsRfun 03-07-2012 11:45 AM

My favorites are:
-Quiltmaker
-Quilts
-American Patchwork and Quilting

As you can see, we all have different favorites. I agree with the suggestion to pick up a few and decide for yourself.

thepolyparrot 03-07-2012 12:15 PM

I've taken just about all of them but I've let them all lapse. I love Quiltmaker and McCall's.

I prefer magazines with lots of patterns and I don't much like to make modern quilts or "art" quilts - so these two magazines provide the mostly traditional patterns with modern methods that I like the best.

That said, I think I've only made one quilt using the exact pattern and similar colors to the one shown in the pattern. Usually, I change everything in the pattern, re-do the fabrics and design a new layout in EQ. The pattern is just a starting point.

But, if I wanted to follow the pattern, I've always found the directions in Quiltmaker and McCall's publications to be easy to read and understand and they provide plenty of pictures of the steps. Quiltmaker even has sketches of suggested quilting designs, which is especially welcome. I always wonder what to do about quilting the thing.... ;)

twoxover 03-07-2012 01:22 PM

great question and great answers.

I'm just getting back into quilting.....but have quilted for 20 years. I just started a subscription to McCalls quick quilts, and am debating about fons and porters. truth be told, i should just get it and mccalls, i buy them every month anyway!

QuiltingCrazie 03-07-2012 01:35 PM

The quilter is one of my favorites and if you go to their site you can see inside past issues at project pics so you can see what they offer. I buy off the rack mostly I browse through and if a quilt screams ...me me me then I buy the magazine. I found it's cheaper that way. Some months I buy 1 some 2 some none but good variety! Although I do want the Irish quilting magazine I'm waiting for it to be in a store!!

ppquilter 03-07-2012 01:36 PM

MY all time fav was "Minature Quilts" but since they went defunct can't hardly find any small/minature quilt mags. :( :( :( Recently my cuz gave me an old stack of mags that had issues 9, 11 and 13 of "Minature Quilts" so new to me. :)

SoSewSue 03-07-2012 01:43 PM

As a new quilter I have been devouring all the quilt magazines - US, UK & Aus - as I can find them. But the winner without a doubt is Quilt Mania. I think of Quilt Mania as the architectural digest of quilt magazines. Not one for an 'easy quick quilt' project but definitely the one for inspiration!

QuiltnNan 03-07-2012 02:12 PM

i like Fons & Porter for beginning as the instructions are easy to follow

almond 03-07-2012 02:24 PM

I like American Patchwork and Fonz & Porter. Both are great for every level of quilters. Good luck with you choice. I agree with the comment to just buy at store till you find your favorite.

There use to be a magazine called Quilts with style. But no longer sell subscriptions but can still get patterns on line.
I made so many quilts from this magazine. Really hated it when they stopped.