Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What quilting projects do you take to a quilting retreat? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-projects-do-you-take-quilting-retreat-t202292.html)

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 11:14 AM

What quilting projects do you take to a quilting retreat?

Just wondering what you take when you go to a week-end quilting retreat. I've taught all day classes on a specific block or quilt but never gone on a week-end quilt retreat. I know sewing machine, iron, etc but what kind of projects?
Thanks

DonnaR 10-04-2012 11:30 AM

I am going on a 4 day retreat next week. I am taking 2 - 3 projects. I try to have everything cut and ready to sew. I do not take anything that is tedious to work on. I live easy projects so I can start and stop to visit with others. I am taking materials to make an Irish Chain and also to make a Chevron quilt as shown on Missouri Star Quilt Company tutorial. Have fun and enjoy your retreat, I know I will mine.

LyndaOH 10-04-2012 11:43 AM

I'm leaving in a few hours - can't wait! There are so many projects I wanted to bring that I had a hard time narrowing it down. I ended up with fabric and pattern for a queen sized quilt that I designed a while back and have been wanting to sink my teeth into it. I know I'll need a few breaks from it, so I also brought a few blocks (okay, about 20) all kitted up and ready to make. Since the retreat is right near my LQS I can always pop in there if I get bored with what I brought. I just loaded my quilting stuff in the car and only have to shower and pack - yippee!

BellaBoo 10-04-2012 12:16 PM

I'm going this next week to a week long retreat! I go to several a year. I take mindless sewing projects that I can chain piece or sew big blocks. Too much gabbing and fun going on to concentrate on math and matching. One project I do, have a ten minute blocks all cut and ready to sew. I give one block kit to each person and ask them to make it and sign it. It doesn't take them but a few minutes and many haven't made one before and think it's great.

Scissor Queen 10-04-2012 12:30 PM

I try and have things mostly cut and ready to sew. The main things I don't take are paper piecing and any actual quilting. Paper piecing just makes a huge mess and you generally don't have a huge amount of space to quilt anything very big.

To the last retreat I took a bed runner that all the paper pieced blocks were done and the rest just needed put together, a small paper pieced wall hanging that just needed put together and a shop hop quilt that hadn't been started yet. I got the bed runner together, the wall hanging together and all but 3 of the shop hop blocks done.

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 02:01 PM

Bellaboo, I like the idea of the 10 minute blocks for everyone to make and sign.

gollytwo 10-04-2012 02:14 PM

If it's my annual week long retreat I take a variety of projects - sometimes blocks that need assembling into a top and I don't have the floor space at home + 3 or 4 quilt projects that are in various stages lrading to done.
Next month I'm on a 3 1/2 day retreat I'm taking a mostly already cut queen star quilt and a twin sports quilt for a teen aged boy, already cut.

Knitnoid 10-04-2012 02:20 PM

I take way too much when I go on retreats. My fear is I'll run into an issue and won't have anything to work on. Or I'll get bored and want to work on something else. One year I took 4 quilts which just needed finishing up -- a few rows added or borders. Got them all done. Haven't done so well since then. This past year I only worked on one quilt -- I made setting blocks to go with my sampler blocks and started sewing the top together. I didn't get it finished, but it was close.

I try to get all the cutting done ahead of time if I'm working on a new project. I want mindless piecing so it's easy to pick up again after getting distracted by all that is going on around me.

LadyElisabeth 10-04-2012 02:34 PM

And I learned we always take CHOCOLATE :)

SuzieQuilts 10-04-2012 04:19 PM

Snacks are very important to take to a retreat. I am always worried that I will run out of things to take so I pack way too much. My favorite thing to do is to take my UFO's and see how many tops I can get finished in one weekend.