Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What quilting supplies/tools do you hate to spend money on? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-supplies-tools-do-you-hate-spend-money-t223469.html)

Sewnoma 06-11-2013 07:26 PM

Rotary blades. Those just aren't any fun to buy.

charsuewilson 06-11-2013 07:33 PM

I hate having to rebuy seam rippers and scissors after mine have gone missing. I'm doing pretty well with scissors lately, but lost another seam ripper in the past few days. Patterns are a good one. I have bought a few fairly simple ones that were really cute. I've also bought a few that I just couldn't figure out on my own. And I've bought a bunch of magazines and books with patterns in them. But I almost never made a quilt exactly as the pattern suggests. Mostly I use them for ideas.

QuiltnLady1 06-11-2013 08:05 PM

I also hate to buy patterns -- they are single use and with graph paper, magazines and EQ I can design a lot myself or get some great inspiration and then plot it out. I have a bunch of books (most bought used) that give me ideas -- and then there is Quilter's Cache. I also hate putting out good money for templates that are needed to make one pattern that is for a class I am taking.

Jan in VA 06-11-2013 09:43 PM

I hate spending money on patterns......so I don't. I have learned to design my own and to redraft those of pictures that impress me. (This for my own personal use only.)

Jan in VA

zennia 06-11-2013 11:59 PM

Rulers and templates that are going to be used only once.

Nilla 06-12-2013 03:33 AM

Needles. For some reason it drives me crazy to pay for new needles and throw the old ones out even though they still look perfectly fine. I don't change the needle on my sewing machine nearly often enough (at least according to what I've read) because of this. I also can't ever feel that the needle is dull compared to the brand new ones.

New bobbin holders. I always seem to end up with just enough thread still on the old bobbins that I don't want to pull it off. For my sewing machine, sometimes I'll just use up each nearly empty bobbin on a scrappy project so I can refill them, but for my long arm I'm just collecting partially empty bobbins because I replace them at the beginning of a new row since I don't like running out half way through a pattern, then trying to match up just where I left off. Maybe I'll use them up on small projects some day.

Batting is crazy expensive and I always end up with leftover pieces that I tell myself I should sew together so I don't waste. Instead, I let my leftover batting take over too much space in my closet and I go buy more.

mic-pa 06-12-2013 03:48 AM

batting would be at the top of my list, and I also buy very few patterns cause I have been sewing long enough I can usually figure out some patterns.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 06-12-2013 04:10 AM

Patterns. Prices are pretty high for something you use once.

susie-susie-susie 06-12-2013 04:51 AM

I'm with you Bellaboo. I enjoy buying everything. I think it's the hoarder in me. I always feel better after I buy fabric. I stock up when I find a sale.
Sue

maminstl 06-12-2013 05:29 AM

For me, it's quilt backing. I like to make pieced backs - do a little something special, but I hate to buy that many yards of fabric if it's not on sale. Right now, I have to wait until August to get the back I want from Connecting Threads unless I stumble over just the right thing at the right price. I've only bought 1 template, which I will probably never even use - they are often way too expensive for being a one trick pony.