Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What 'really' works to mark hand quilting lines? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-really-works-mark-hand-quilting-lines-t92699.html)

nanna-up-north 01-22-2011 05:56 AM

I've quilted 2 quilts by hand. The first one I just used zebra tape to quilt away from the seams. The second one was black (my avitar) so I used wax that disappeared when it was ironed. Now I am ready to start a quilt where I will be using templates to quilt the feathers and circles in the spaces. I will have to draw in the lines that will be quilted and I want to use something that will come out easily. The LQS suggested the blue pen that will come out when spritzed with water..... Does it really come out? I'm a little nervous. What do you all use? I don't want some line that is permanent.

MamaBear61 01-22-2011 05:59 AM

Whatever you use I would definately try it on a scrap of fabric and put it through a wash and day cycle too, so that you are 100% sure nothing reappears or leave discoloration etc.

Hinterland 01-22-2011 06:10 AM

I use colored pencils. So long as I use a light mark I haven't had any trouble getting them out. I also use washable graphite. For dark fabrics, Clover makes a fine line white pen. It takes a few minutes to develop, but the mark doesn't come off until the quilt is washed.

Magic chalk is popular with my friend who long arms - it also comes off with washing or ironing.

Lots of quilters use the blue marking pens. I haven't been able to bring myself to use them yet.

S D G 01-22-2011 06:12 AM

I use dissapearing Ink, you can get it your LQS or Joann's. It comes in 2 diff. types. 1 is water soluable and the is air soluable. The water sol. stays on until it is mixed with water, ie. damp rag or washer, the other 1 dissapeard in 2 couple days as it sits. You can also use chalk, there are different types of these, personaly I don't like the chalk but my mother does. What ever you choose Happy Quilting.

humbird 01-22-2011 06:13 AM

When marking small area's as I quilt, I have used a self-made pounce using cinnamon. Marks are usually gone by the time I get it quilted. I believe it was John Flynn on one of Alex Andersons long ago quilt show that gave this idea. I used a sq. of fairly loosely woven fab. with a tablespoon of cinnimon in the center, brought up the edges and tied a string around it. Couldn't see the marks when finished, but I do wash my quilts after quilting no matter what I use to mark. Hope this helps some.

LindaR 01-22-2011 06:30 AM

when we were in Lancaster some years back, talked to an Amish woman and she only used pencil #2 I think...very light but when quilted could hardly see it...She said first wash it was gone...

susie-susie-susie 01-22-2011 06:44 AM

Maake sure you test the method you choose. Sometimes the marks reappear when you wash the quilt. I used a pen that disappeard with air, but the marks were gone before I could quilt the whole quilt.lol Also, don't iron before washing. Sometimes that sets the marks.
Sue

quiltingaz 01-22-2011 06:56 AM

The blue pen disappears with water, but you have to be careful because heat will set it. Don't leave it in a hot place like a car until you have washed out marks. I have used it with no problem otherwise. I live in Arizona and do have to be careful with heat setting blue marks. It will take more than just a little spritz of water, you will need to douse it to get marks out.

I knew a hand quilter in OR and she used pencil and made light marks. My SIL uses childrens markers that wash out.

Lacelady 01-22-2011 07:48 AM

Sewline retractible pencils. 'Leads' come in several colours, and can be erased with the eraser made by Sewline. The yellow or white works well on dark colours, and the regular grey is good for light ones.
http://www.sewline-product.com/

jlong 01-22-2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
when we were in Lancaster some years back, talked to an Amish woman and she only used pencil #2 I think...very light but when quilted could hardly see it...She said first wash it was gone...

I was given an Amish wall hanging many years ago and her pencil marks are still visible after many washings. I do like the Clover white thin pt. pen and their pencils, too.