Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the right thread for machine quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-right-thread-machine-quilting-t41543.html)

Martina 04-02-2010 04:23 PM

I always see the beautiful machine quilted quilts here. I want my pieces to look something like them and was wondering what kind of thread is the right thread to quilt with. When I try to quilt my pieces with the machine, it seems that the thread does not look as thick as the ones I see here all the time. I guess i use regular cotton thread to piece. So what thickness does the thread suppose to be for the quilting part and what brand shall i use? Please help :-)

amma 04-02-2010 05:03 PM

I have used a heavier cotton thread, glossy embroidery thread, and the thinner cotton I use to piece with. It is all up to you and the look you want. The smaller the weight on the thread spool, the thicker the thread is. Just don't use handquilting thread, as it has a waxy coating that is not good for your machine :wink:

sewnsewer2 04-02-2010 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I have used a heavier cotton thread, glossy embroidery thread, and the thinner cotton I use to piece with. It is all up to you and the look you want. The smaller the weight on the thread spool, the thicker the thread is. Just don't use handquilting thread, as it has a waxy coating that is not good for your machine :wink:

Ditto!

littlehud 04-02-2010 05:40 PM

Amma is so right. I buy Connecting Threads thread and it works great for me.

lynsews 04-02-2010 05:49 PM

Another Connecting Threads fan here! It does a great job, it's inexpensive and the colors are gorgeous. You will love it. (their fabric is great too)

Martina 04-02-2010 06:05 PM

Thank ya'll so much!! I will check it out. I am not familiar with embroidery thread. Are there different thicknesses I should pay attention to?

sewcrafty 04-03-2010 06:10 AM

Ok, here's a question!! I've gone through my thread and even thread at the stores and is there a secret to finding out what the weight is? I just got new glasses, so maybe that was the problem!! Don't know. Can't find it though. Is there a secret code?

kathy 04-03-2010 06:44 AM

it should say 30 wt, 50 wt, 60 wt some just say all purpose, I figure that's about 50-60 wt.

stitchfancy 04-03-2010 07:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi - I found a document recently that explains a lot all about thread.

I'm going to try to upload it here for you. If I am not successful feel free to email me direct.

This document has about 17 pages, in pdf format.

Hope this helps

stitchfancy

Thread Facts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42777[/ATTACH]

heidikins 04-03-2010 07:09 AM

Great question! I learned and have always heard that you piece with 50-60 weight and quilt with 40 wt both in the bobbin and on top. So this is what I have always done. I have never branched out to other specialty threads-yet. Heidi