Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is the science behind potato bags? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-science-behind-potato-bags-t26754.html)

stashblaster 10-09-2009 03:15 AM

Dumb question I know. I have done lots of internet searching on the potato bags. Yes, I've read all the warnings, opinions, etc. Most of the tutorials use quilting cotton for both inside and outside layers. However, I ran across one site that used flannel on the inside. Would the flannel be better/safer by absorbing more heat or steam?

So far, I've made two bags with flannel on the inside. I've only baked one potato at a time. I didn't really get the "fluffy" potato that everyone raves about. So I'm wondering if I'm a picky chef or does it have something to do with the flannel. I do plan on making a bag without the flannel.

The reason that I'm being obsessive is that I give sewing lessons to my fellow employees. Potato bags will be one of our projects so I really want to use the most appropriate fabrics. Thanks!

trupeach 10-09-2009 03:25 AM

From a health stand point I would only make them with unbleached muslin you never know what is used to dye the fabric and I wouldn't want that being steamed in my potato

BellaBoo 10-09-2009 05:14 AM

For fluffy potatoes, it depends on the type of potato you are baking. I buy Idaho baking potatoes, usually they are loose in a bin not in a bag.

Tippy 10-09-2009 08:18 AM

Hate sounding ignorant, but better ignorant than stupid... what the heck is a potato bag?

momto4 10-09-2009 09:00 AM

It is a small fabric bag that some people use to bake their potatoes in. Nothing fancy. Just a bag that closes and you pop your potatoe in it and zap it and they say it gives you a super fluffy yummy potato. I do have a potato bag just never tried it yet heh.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 10-09-2009 01:35 PM

Well, potato bags are a new one on me. I peel my potatoes )because my kids hate the peels), rub them with butter, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and nuke them. It makes an excellent baked potato.

All that being said, potato bags could be a cute little kitchen item.

MadQuilter 10-09-2009 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tippy
Hate sounding ignorant, but better ignorant than stupid... what the heck is a potato bag?

My sentiment eactly. When I read the title, I actually wondered if someone wanted to use the sacks that some potatos are delivered in for quilting. I just could not imagine what part of the quilting. lol

I can barely drag my sorry behind to a restaurant and I hate doing laundry. Thinking there are no potato bags in my future.

Serious question: do they prevent the spuds from expolding?

Knot Sew 10-09-2009 03:35 PM

My mom had big nails she put in them to bake for a few years then :lol: stopped

KayBee 10-10-2009 08:17 AM

Have made many(!) potato sacks for gifts and always include instructions for baking with bag. No one has ever reported a problem except for my sister who caught a potato on fire. She left it in for 25 minutes and took a nap while waiting. Duh!

I use unbleached muslin(washed) for inside, 100% cotton batting and well washed 100% cotton for outside. I prefer using Idaho potatoes. The sacks make the best baked potatoes ever. Don't forget to wrap potato in paper towel before inserting into bag and be careful not to puncture the potato skin.

barbsbus 10-10-2009 09:59 AM

I think that I will be making a bunch of these for Christmas presents. There is a website that had someone selling them and included the nylon crocheted scrubbies and I thought that was a areal good idea. I will probably do the same and maybe include directions for warming frozen breads, tortillas, corn on the cob and of course the potatoes.