Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what scissors do you like (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-scissors-do-you-like-t66853.html)

Bev 09-30-2010 07:44 AM

Anybody know anything about Wiss scissors? Thanks to this thread I went through my scissors collection and looked closely at the brand of each pair. I have two pairs of Wiss. One is the long, bent handle dressmaker's type, and the other is a six inch pair. They both came to me through my mom from my grandmother. I have always used them for paper and never had them sharpened. I haven't seen the brand mentioned here.

GailG 09-30-2010 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
Anybody know anything about Wiss scissors? Thanks to this thread I went through my scissors collection and looked closely at the brand of each pair. I have two pairs of Wiss. One is the long, bent handle dressmaker's type, and the other is a six inch pair. They both came to me through my mom from my grandmother. I have always used them for paper and never had them sharpened. I haven't seen the brand mentioned here.

When I first began to sew, we had Wiss shears which had been purchased at my mom's family's general merchandise store. This was in late forties and early fifties.

Dee 09-30-2010 08:17 PM

I have always used Fiskars and I still use them after 46 yrs.. I bought the sharpener for them. They stay sharp for a very long time. I only use them for fabric. Have cheap ones for paper etc.

keolika 10-01-2010 08:03 AM

Donna, the quilt in your personal picture area is beautiful. what great color and design. I LOVE IT, Keolika

bsktkeeper 10-02-2010 06:40 PM

Dido! especially their snips .When snips are on sale

bearisgray 10-02-2010 06:51 PM

I though Wiss were the ultimate until I learned about Gingher scissors.

sosewcrazy 10-03-2010 06:11 PM

My cousin got me a pair of Gingers for my high school graduation. She had them engraved, and I still use them almost every day. By the way, the date on them is 6-2-75.

tjradj 10-03-2010 06:51 PM

Whichever ones are sharp. I have a 10 year old son who loves to craft, and try as I might, he just isn't grasping the concept of "hands off my sewing scissors." So, I buy the cheapies, the ones that come in 3 packs and whatever, so it's no big deal to replace them when they are "papered."

leaha 10-03-2010 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bev

My mother got her Wiss dressmaker scissors the same year I got my gold seal ones from daddy. (1955)I know she has only used them on fabric as have I, still real good!

phyllysue 12-29-2010 07:10 PM

Where do you get Ginghers? Also, I have a few pairs of Wiss scissors that need sharpening desperately. Where can I get them sharpened?