Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What sewing machine should I get??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-sewing-machine-should-i-get-t272671.html)

Karen Tries Quilting 11-25-2015 10:23 AM

What sewing machine should I get???

What Bernina or ??? Sewing machine would you suggest for a fairly new quilter? I want something that I would be happy with for many years. I would want to use to it quilt and do sewing projects. Thank you for suggestions, comments on my search. Karen Tries Quilting 😊

Onebyone 11-25-2015 10:36 AM

The features I want on a new expensive machine are auto threading, auto thread cutting, needle up/down, variable needle positions, separate bobbin winder, auto lock stitch start and stop, and knee lift. I don't care what brand it is. I have Bernina, Brother, Janome, vintage and new Singers. They all sew just fine. I want the features.

Tartan 11-25-2015 10:39 AM

Make a list of what features you want in a machine. I wanted good harp space for machine quilting, good buttonhole stitch for machine appliqué, needle up/down feature, a few fancy stitches and the Bernina Stitch Regulator for machine quilting. My Bernina 440 was about $3000 a few years ago. Your wants will be different so check out all good brands within your price range.

ManiacQuilter2 11-25-2015 10:40 AM

The best suggestion that I can give you is to go to a major quilt show in your area. There will be dealers with many sewing machines on display to actually test drive. Start making a list of any options you would prefer and what you can afford. I bought my Bernina 1530 in the late 90's and I am still quilting on it. Buying a sewing machine is just like buying a car. You have to go out and test drive them to see what fits your needs. Have fun!

cashs_mom 11-25-2015 10:49 AM

When I was choosing a new machine, I went to the three machines I was most interested in after doing some research on all of them. I spent some time with each one and did lots of samples on my own fabrics. Then I went home and sat on my back porch and looked at all of them before deciding. I eventually bought a Bernina and am now on my second one. Don't get too hung up on "it has the be exactly right and I have use it forever". It puts too much pressure on the decision. If you decide after a few years that you want something else, that's okay. You can trade in the machine you've got a get another. If you budget is tight, most dealers have refurbished machines for sale that are considerably cheaper and just as good as a new one. Sometimes it's better to buy that way because you can get a better machine than what you could buy new. Sort of like cars or houses.

quiltingcandy 11-25-2015 11:08 AM

Those are all great suggestions. My Janome dealer is also the largest fabric store in the county. It was on sale and when I sent to the store to check it out I told the sales lady that I was a quilter, that I did not make clothes anymore and my concern was being able to quilt on the machine. So she didn't waste my time showing me the embroidery/sewing machine. But she did say that I wanted a machine above what I have now so that I can grow. And she explained why I wanted the bells and whistles Onebyone talks about and how they become so necessary while quilting. (I don't care about the knee lift - never got used to it, but know a lot of people love it.)

Also the suggestion to go to a major show with all the different vendors is one place is also good, but my create a long delay and all the sales are going on now.

Just don't feel pressured to buy anything while checking them out.

One additional item I would suggest you get, if possible, is the sewing table so that your machine sets into it. My Janome came with it. My old Singer is in a cabinet so was used to having the flat surface. Two of my machines have the acrylic tables and those just aren't the same. I got the SewEz table for my Husqvarna, you order it based on the machine you have. I also got the piece to put in when the machine is out of it to close the hole.

Have fun shopping. Let us know what you decide.

MadQuilter 11-25-2015 01:21 PM

A lot depends on your budget. I am a Baby Lock fan.

Dolphyngyrl 11-25-2015 06:12 PM

My brother dreamweaver has been nothing but a dream, I recommend demoing many machines to find the features you prefer. Every brand has a nice model worth looking at

Prism99 11-25-2015 06:25 PM

What is your budget? If it's under $500 the suggestions will be different than if it's $1,000 or more.

lyndaj 11-25-2015 07:15 PM

I am also looking for a new machine. Like others said above, write a list of must haves and then figure out which machines fit your list. Then go and test drive.